.375 bullet choice

snox801

Alright guys after all your help with the scope I ended up with the atacr 7-32. I know it will never see under a 500 yards shot so I figured the more top end the better.
So now I'm onto Bullets. Kirby likes the 350 smk but that seems to leave a bit on the table. So I was looking at the 400 gr mth from cutting edge. Or the 403gr from hammer not on the site yet that was from steve.
When mulling it over kirby said he liked the 375gr mth or the 400 lazer. But he was worried it would not imfit in my mag.
I'd obviously like the best performer possible and don't mind using single shot if I have to but just curious what you guys would do.
Also when comparing mono to cup core of the same weight which has the higher bc? Seems the mono would because of the longer shape but I'm sure the density plays a huge part. Which leads me to wonder would the 375gr CEB be that much better than the smk? Thanks in advance guys.

Are you barrel twist rate limited for the mono bullets? If not I'd check with Steve - Hammer bullets. Honest and might have something right up your alley. No ******** from Steve.

Ya I got a 1/9 so that should get me to a 400 gr mono.
After some reading I saw it a mono of same weight would have lower bc because of more surface are for drag. So I'll be looking at the 400gr hammer for sure. That way I could have steve load me some ammo and send the whole package to me. The design with the extra bands seem to drop bc though. Same as gsc. CEB only has one band which creates less drag.

snox,
I think the mono(s) of the same weight are going to have a higher BC if designed/shaped correctly.
Example:
I'm running the 375 grain Chinchaga bullet in my Snipetac and using .8 as the BC.
The CEB 377 grain Match Tactical has an advertised BC of .95, that is a substantial gain. I believe the advertised BC for the CEB to be true as I ran their 415 grain MTH out of my .408 and it was spot on.
I'm sure folks are wondering why I'm not running a CEB MTH out of my .375. That's because so far, though extremely accurate, I haven't been impressed with their terminal performance compared to a cup and core bullet. Trying the Chinchagas for this reason. They shoot great, just not quite the BC. I also ran some Hammers through this rifle and they shot exceptionally well. Another option is the Lazers, they may be the ticket and have better performance on game than the MTH and better BC than the Chinchaga.

Hey thanks bravo. I also looked at the 435gr? Chinchaga but also heard the bc is quite low for what they are.
So I may be able to pull off the 375 gr lazer and get a better bc than the 350 smk and some good performance down range. How did you like the hammer's steve said they just redid the 394 to a 403 or something for more frontal weight and stability long range.

I got some 370 grain Hammers and they shoot great! They seem to have about the same BC of .8 that the 375 gr Chinchagas and Matchkings have. If I were to go with any of the Hammers this would be it, due to my 1-10" twist barrel. It is also as long as their 395 grain bullet with a more aggressive profile.
5 shots @ 100:

Attachments

• 3DE9D961-50F3-4A17-ABC6-5468880F6369.jpeg
    3DE9D961-50F3-4A17-ABC6-5468880F6369.jpeg
    280 KB · Views: 44
So to best the 350gr smk looks like I will have to go to the 400gr monos.
If you were in my shoes and had the .375 AM with a 9 twist what would be your choice for long range hunting?

I would probably go with either the 400 grain Lazers or the Hammers. I'm betting the Lazer will have the upper hand on BC, and there really isn't enough data on either to say what would perform better on game. I bet either one will shoot extremely well in the accuracy department.
If I ever get my longer 1-8" twist barrel going, my goal is to push the 400 grain Lazers to 3300(+)fps.

I agree with Bravo 4 I would not be using the Flat line bullets for hunting. They have no design characteristics for expansion ( hollow point, softer tip etc.) Maybe their design, which would not have been intentional, causes them to yaw early and thus create a larger wound channel. The ones I saw recovered from testing that hit steel were just bent no expansion what so ever. Looked very much like the solid non-expanding used for cape and elephant.

I do agree that mono of the same weight that have the same basic design shape as jackets will have higher BC than the later. That is almost a given. Usually of the same dimensions they are light enough comparatively to the jackets lead version their increased vel gives them basically equal perf in flight. In some cases they are actually superior in those areas. Warner Flat line are such as case.

Just my opinion for what its worth.

IMG_2895.JPG
Tim

I agree that some solids are not a prefered hunting bullet, but here is a Warner 361 after hitting a AR500 target at 3040 yards from a 375 Snipetac the day before arriving at the KO2M.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.