Is the .17WSM dead?

I never knew Ruger made one!
Thank you, I will keep an eye out for one.
Ruger has put production on hold, so currently their resale value is through the roof. If you see one at a decent price, don't hesitate to buy it.

I've got a WSM and Hornet on backorder but unsure if/when they'll make them again.

1706883345944.png

I've wondered the same thing. As much as I love my HMR, I'd really like to step up to a WSM but with the unavailabiity of ammo and the B Mag being the only choice- thanks but no.

Has anyone made a decent WSM?
I'd be ok keeping an ear to the dirt to find a decent used one, but don't recall any other choices?
I built one on a Remington 40X action.

I never knew Ruger made one!
Thank you, I will keep an eye out for one.
Me too! Have look in on that. I got 10 boxes the other month. Seem to be back in stock. Maybe not at the walkin stores, but on line. yes I am stocking up, but at 500 case every few months. So not to take it all away. so others can get some too. It's been a problem. I feel that maybe people that use the 17WSM like them.
Also looking into have a real rifle built for the round. I like the round, it does much more the 17HRM in velocity. It's an easy 200yd rifle.

Last edited:
Awesome varmint cartridge, and a "new" concept for us curmudgeons, like the 25-3000 (which was the first commercial cartridge that hit 3000 fps (with an 85 grain projectile) in around 1900.

The .17 WSM was based on the construction-designed concrete nail gun rimfire cartridge, and they put a 17 cal bullet on it . Had one for years and it is loaned out to stepdaughter for coyotes in the chickens duty. (She is a bit "big gun" shy, something we are working on.) LOTS bigger than a .22 mag. Next step up is the .222, .223 etc.
My Savage in .17 WSM is a tack driver to the ranges I have sent it to, before my daughter got it....

I'd like to see the 77 series resurface, never did find the arrangement before they suspended production during covid. Certainly like my 17 hornet, would love to see a 77 sporter stainless in wsm. Sorta bridge the gap between the b mag and rimx.

Love my vq but it's heavy and bulky, and inspires entirely to much ammo consumption for as little as they put out.

Was a good sign to see winchester push a rifle even if there is 0 chance I buy one. Means they haven't forgotten completely about it.

Alas, I do have a beautiful low-wall but any ammo is expensive and no 25gr. There is still 500 rounds on my shelf thankfully. As others have noted, you probably wont get under 1" group. I have no idea how many exist, just had to have it.

Me too! Have look in on that. I got 10 boxes the other month. Seem to be back in stock. Maybe not at the walkin stores, but on line. yes I am stocking up, but at 500 case every few months. So not to take it all away. so others can get some too. It's been a problem. I feel that maybe people that use the 17WSM like them.
Also looking into have a real rifle built for the round. I like the round, it does much more the 17HRM in velocity. It's an easy 200yd rifle.
I have three. We shoot prarie dogs out 250 yards.