Is shot placement more important than bullets?

My question is shot placement is critical .I wonder how many animals are wounded by long range shooter by bad hit and not enough velocity . winds velocity can move bullets a long ways.
I think far less than those that are shot under 300 yards. Mainly because there are twenty times more people shooting inside 300 than outside.

My question is shot placement is critical .I wonder how many animals are wounded by long range shooter by bad hit and not enough velocity . winds velocity can move bullets a long ways.

We get this question rather routinely, and usually, from shooters who are rather new to LRH and LR shooting, or who never really shoot LR/ELR. MOST true LRH and LR shooters practice quite a bit, and several are also LR competition shooters. Either way, most LR shooters/hunters are not your average deer hunter who never shoots nor hunts beyond 300 yards, and often, not even that far.

Wind reading is just one of the many factors LR/ELR shooters practice and have become decent at, and we know when to take the shot, wait for better conditions or reposition ourselves for lesser effects and wind angles.

The answer to your question is far less game is wounded and lost by experienced LR/ELR shooters than those who never shoot past 300 yards. For that matter, how many bird hunters of all types wound and lose game every year? Bow hunters? etc, etc.

Alright, good thread! How about this scenario;

Just got my rifle back recently. I only have 2 bullets on hand and none suitable in the stores. My new barrel doesn't seem to like my hunting bullet. The only other I have is Sierra match king 30cal 175s. I have really good accuracy with those at about 2850fps.

How about using these smk at that speed on elk out to 400-500 yards?

From what I've read, they tend to break up rather than mushroom, but still kill quickly with a lot of damage on deer.

Alright, good thread! How about this scenario;

Just got my rifle back recently. I only have 2 bullets on hand and none suitable in the stores. My new barrel doesn't seem to like my hunting bullet. The only other I have is Sierra match king 30cal 175s. I have really good accuracy with those at about 2850fps.

How about using these smk at that speed on elk out to 400-500 yards?

From what I've read, they tend to break up rather than mushroom, but still kill quickly with a lot of damage on deer.
Did you read the op? Probably half the animals pictured were killed with 175 SMK's. Its a killer.

Last edited:
Absolutely true. But that happens whether it was a 6.5 at 800yds or a 300WM at 100 yds. Which do you think happens more often?

I know that animal can be lost even with 50BMG.
I think that 6.5creed in hand off good shooters and with good ammo and responsibile hunter can doo more that 300wm in combination with not soo good shooter.

I also agree that brain shoot with 22lr can kill instantly,but I know that I can not shoot that good all the time,I can not shoot that good with any cal.
I dont say than nobody can do it but to shoot always in the brain even at 200y is very very hard.
I will like to see somebody hit brain off a animal at 800y in hunting scenario.

I think someone who is interested in LRH must practise and generaly is better shooter because off practise and learning.

I know that animal can be lost even with 50BMG.
I think that 6.5creed in hand off good shooters and with good ammo and responsibile hunter can doo more that 300wm in combination with not soo good shooter.

I also agree that brain shoot with 22lr can kill instantly,but I know that I can not shoot that good all the time,I can not shoot that good with any cal.
I dont say than nobody can do it but to shoot always in the brain even at 200y is very very hard.
I will like to see somebody hit brain off a animal at 800y in hunting scenario.

I think someone who is interested in LRH must practise and generaly is better shooter because off practise and learning.
Really.gif

Recent Posts