Is shot placement more important than bullets?

Ah, the good old binary choice. What would "experts" do without them? Whether it's 30.06 vs .270 in the old days, or 6.5 CM cs .260 Remington, or this, they are a staple to writers without much to say.

It's official ...

hijack2.jpg

If I had to I'd rather shoot a griz in the cns with a hardcast heavy in my 45-70. And shoot an antelope with my 260 AI, finally being built thank you, and a 140 Berger. :)

Dumpster = double-lunged bear with failed bullet performance. No expansion. Perfect shot placement, bear now in alders, watching its backtrail.
I tracked a bear in the alders,..... once. Not a fun prospect. Wasn't my bear but I couldn't stomach the thought of a wounded animal running around. Luckily it was a clean miss and the bear was long gone.

Did you read the op? Probably have the animals pictured were killed with 175 SMK's. Its a killer.

I did, but forgot to make my qualifying statement of behind the shoulder broadside only, not necessarily heart shot. There are quite a few elk in there, but a fair number are neck or heart and a couple head shots.

I'm the kinda guy that only shoots broadside or slightly quartering and always go for double lung.

I will say this once from experience.
A poorly selected bullet in the right place does not always get the animal….
You have to have both good shot placement and a bullet up to the task.
Have seen far too many deer shot with poor bullets from a 243 that it has had me gobsmacked that those bullets had been chosen for anything bigger than a rabbit.
I have also had niche bullets fail to expand at range even though shot placement was perfect. Have had the right bullet hit the wrong place and lost an animal, only to see the same animal ALIVE the next year.

Cheers.

I will say this once from experience.
A poorly selected bullet in the right place does not always get the animal….
You have to have both good shot placement and a bullet up to the task.
Have seen far too many deer shot with poor bullets from a 243 that it has had me gobsmacked that those bullets had been chosen for anything bigger than a rabbit.
I have also had niche bullets fail to expand at range even though shot placement was perfect. Have had the right bullet hit the wrong place and lost an animal, only to see the same animal ALIVE the next year.

Cheers.
#1 Correct placement with good bullet.
#2 Correct placement with less than good bullet.
#3 Less than good placement with good bullet.
#4 Less than good bullet in less than good place.

in that order, placement still more important than bullet.