shot placement

gary olson

what is your go to shot, that will put the game down & cut down on have to track them ,I like the shoulder. 308,165gr. & 270,130 noslergun)

I hunt White Tail and Mulies with a .308 win and 270 win. High shoulder for me. Double lung shots are deadly but they run for a bit. I am done with pulling deer out of deep creeks. In my experience they don't go very far after a high shoulder shot. Sometimes they just drop.

I can't do that myself , just want to learn more, I know there is a lot of angles to take into account, and how every one goes about it.is of interest. good hunting

Being a bowhunter too I have long learned the value of the double lung shot. You have a lot more room for error. The exception is if they are near something I dot want them to get to. Then I will put them down with a shoulder shot. The problem is I mostly hunt for the meat and those double lungs like wreck nearly no meat at all. Shoulder shots.......With a firearm almost every double lung shot I have taken I have watched them drop. It might not be in their tracks, but they typically dont go far and leave a lot of blood.

From close up to Long Range Hunting. Heavy for caliber fragmenting bullet, in the crease just below center, tight behind the shoulder. Largest vital kill zone both up and down left and right. Highest percentage shot and bullet terminal performance. Lowest meat loss. It works and I haven't tracked one animal for years now.

Jeff

Depends on the angle of the target. The text book broad side shot is not always what you get.
Generally speaking, a shoulder shot from most angles works best for me. However, sometimes, I need to rely on a well placed neck shot.

I have killed hundreds of white tail deer doing crop damage control hunting for 15 years. I always put the bullet into or exit a shoulder when possible. If the deer is facing me I hold 2/3rds up from the brisket for a high chest/neck shot if the deer will not put it's head down. If it will put it's head down I shoot it right between the shoulders where the neck meets the body. Best shot is 2/3rds up the front shoulder dead center of the shoulder. BANG FLOP.

rt, 2506, thanks I ask this in the aldeer form & got shoulder- lung or neck & head, about half use the shoulder, I do this so I don't have to go find them Or drag them up a hill, my get along is a little wore out .:D good hunting.

For whitetail, high dead center shoulder...DRT every time. Generally speaking though I use a heavier fragmenting bullet and put it in the crease of the shoulder tight to the shoulder blade a little lower than halfway up.

thanks creedmore;
I have tried sst, nosler silver tip, nosler hunting, sierra sbt, in my range 200 - 400,noslers work well with out fragmenting to much, I try for a 4 inch circle at the shoulder area, so far mebe 10 feet is as far they went, I use golf balls for targets 100-200 ,yds .I check my loads for al weather,& watch there drops.165 -308win & 130- 270 .:D good hunting

Double lung/heart, JHP bullet....high velocity MAX LOADS, hydrostatic shock liquid lung is my preference.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.