243 shot placement question

I just wanted to add that while the OP is discussing the .243, I've had similar experiences with the .270. Hydrostatic shock kills are a funny thing. When they happen it almost seems magical. It probably isn't realistic however to depend on them. Bottom line is that if you're a good enough rifleman to be able to hit the heart shot after shot (a relatively small target at distance actually) don't change a thing. Meat on the table every time. I did however discover with my .270 that a change in bullet significantly increased the percentage of hydrostatic shock kills to nearly 95% at ranges to 400 yds. I switched to Hornady 140gr BTSP in that rifle over 20 years ago and never looked back. Can't say if the same thing would happen for anyone else in any other caliber but they've given me the DRT performance the OP is seeking nearly every time. Just my 2¢ worth

Speer, Sierra, and Hornady all make spbt rounds that hunters seem to love with reasonable BC. 80 gr Speer spbt is what I used. I noticed the heart was in multiple pieces, shot placement put the round just low of center of the heart. Lungs however we're quite literally untouched and very much intact. That concerned me a bit as I thought the fragmentation would be a bit more. Definitely a fatal shot, but maybe a little more dramatic fragmentation would've helped. I don't want lead all over the place, and I do like the full penetration, but a little frag effect would be nice. Sounds like maybe Hornady would be a little closer to what I'm after.

You don't need all copper $$$$$ bullets to kill deer with a 243. If it were me I would definitely pass on the 80 gr factory stuff , no matter how well it groups. Use 100 gr ammo. The 100 gr core lokt is a fine deer bullet, and so is the 100 gr Hornady fb bullet. Those are both good old school cup and core bullets that aren't bone shy if you need to anchor a deer with a DRT shot.
I prefer rib shots, but there are times when it's now or never , so why compromise just because a so so bullet shots a fuzz better? Remington's 80gr sp .243 bullet is the only bullet I've ever seen not penetrate a 35 yd quartering away shot to the ribs after nicking a 3/4" sapling.
We shot that same deer two days later on my old lease with a 3 or 4" bald spot with the hair kind of rolled back and wadded up behind the shoulder, but no penetration. Hard to explain the ext damage, but under the skin..... Two broken ribs and severe bruising and blood clotted up like there was penetration. My point.... The 100 gr bullet isn't a "tweener" bullet like most 80's are.
I live in California with his majesty Jerry Brown , who enforced copper bullets here because of the condors. I have shot deer with old 105 grain Barnes that were pure lead and had a thick copper jacket. The shot was through the lungs the hole was about a dime in size and silver dollar size out. Also used Speer who had a 105 grain bullets . But I had good results with copper bullets. The best is Barnes , I do not like Nosler's copper bullets. The old Barnes and Speer 105's are not made anymore.

I use Berger 87gr. VLD from HSM ammo. Right behind shoulder and the deer I've shot drop in it's tracks. Of course, I am giving my opinion. I have used Berger VLD from 243,257,6.5,308 and 300 Wby on deer, sheep and antelope.

Your combination is fine IMO your shot was just a little low, where the heart intersects the lungs or the entry point of the lungs will either drop them or they won't go far. For me a heart shot is off target although it will kill the animal it won't do it as fast as a 'hilar lung' shot, look it up. Cheers

100 yards is pretty typical for a heart shot, aside from the mudhole that he died in no big deal. I actually like the track of a great blood trail. Nothing like spotting that animal on the trail... But,,, why waist that delicious meat of the heart, I go lungs just for that reason. Don't like shoulder (tremendous waste of meat), head or neck for reasons above.

I might suggest the Hornady American Whitetail ammo loaded with their great interlock bullet. Reasonably inexpensive factory ammo that almost always shoots well and the interlock bullet is a proven performer.

Ive shot a good many deer with a 243 with the Hornady 95gr SST. Granted, our deer aren't nearly as big as the op describes. I always preferred a high shoulder shot. Maybe 2/3rds of the way up tucked right behind the shoulder. Take out both lungs. Every deer was either drt or down within 15yards. Never ruined meat either as long as I stayed right behind the shoulder. I always prefer lung shot to heart shots.

Shot placement is everything. That being said, I have shot a lot of wt deer with the .243 and you should be aware it is not a long range fast killer beyond 350 yards.
There has been a trend in recent years for rifle manufacturers to use slow twist barrels. As has been said in this thread, the 100 grain and up are the way to go, and I cannot see a much better one than the 100 grain Nosler partition for mule and white-tailed deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.