Is 208amax@2900fps realistic for a 300wsm

300R

Hi Guy's, i have a ABS/ Benchmark 3 groove barrel, Lawton 7000 Long action and A5edge stock sitting at my gunsmiths but i'm stuck as too what caliber i should build,it's gonna be a light weight multi-purpose hunting/paper puncher rifle so it will see quite a few shots each year,i mainly hunt fallow deer,goats and pigs and am looking for something to get me to 1000 yards max and still have enough punch.I currently have a 6.5cm and 338lap but with the weight this new rife is gonna come in at, i can see myself grabbing it on most hunts. I have had several 300 rum's and this was the plan for this build but i know how quick the barrels can turn south and with the price of this barrel i gotta say it's not so appealing now,the wsm has proven itself accuracy wise and yes i know people are gonna say go for the win mag but... i like being a little different.I have heaps of room to seat bullets out in the L/A is 2900fps achievable with the 208amax or 210 berger out of a 26.5" barrel in 300wsm,any info is appreciated.

70+ grains of Imr 4831 will get you close but it isn't gonna last any longer than a ultra, maybe not as long as a tamer loaded ultra!

Last edited:
I would say more than likely no. My accuracy load gives me right at 2700fps with a 210 Berger in a 24" bbl. I also have a rum that pushed the same bullets to 3170fps. You might get 2800 but I don't see 2900 happening.

I think you can do it, but you are going to have to have it throated for a 3.2 COAL. If you keep 3.2 as your COAL VV560 at about 74grs should do it at max CIP pressures. Being that you are using a long action you should be able to get those to feed even. Do not try that load with a standard throat.

I can run the 208s at 2800 from my 06 AI a long throated WSM should be able to get to 3000.

I could see 2800fps easy with R17or R19. Did you do a search?

I think I read something awhile back where someone was getting 2700 something with these bullets in his 308 win and a Vn powder. I know his screen name but at the risk of spelling it wrong you will have to pm me for it. I have played with them a bit in my 300 wsm but noting over the chrno.

300 WSM Load Data - Handloads.Com=

4831sc would get you to 2950 if throated long with about 67K PSI. Loaded to that pressure VV560 will get about 3050, according to QL estimates.

Just remember that secant ogive bullets do best in or near the lands which can raise pressure. Your gun may not have give its best accuracy when pressure is maxed out. Brass and barrel life will suffer. If you have an ultra mag than why try pushing a wsm to the Max? What about a 300/338 Lapua wildcat?

Hi Fella's, thanks so much for the feedback,i'm thinking i will give it a try and if i'm not happy i can always stick a RUM reamer into her.What do you think barrel/brass life would be like for the wsm at those velocities and pressures,i know my rum cases didn't like being pushed hard before primer pockets said no more.My gunsmith was toying with the idea of a slightly modified Dakota case with a rebated rim,we have a good brass maker down here who will make whatever you like at a reasonable price so long it's a minimum 1000 pieces.Thanks again guy's.

I bet you get close to your velocity goals. The 208 has a g1 bc of .648
If you settle at 2800 or 2850 you aren't really giving anything up. Should make
A really nice rifle for what you want.
+1 to the norma cases. I get 8-9 loadings out of mine and they still have some
Life left if I annealed them.

Last edited:
Will a rum reamer clean up a wsm chamber? I just micked a few cases and there is a small difference but my rum cases are neck sized and my wsm cases are FL.

No, not safely. 2800+ with a good accurate safe load. That is where the ones I worked with hit. This is with factory barrels. With a long match barrel sure you may get 2900 fps.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.