Introducing the 338 Texan

I know...I was a little embarrassed too admit that.:) The Gun loves N570. The barrel is a 31" Interupted fluted sendero barrel. When I rebarrel it will be a Lijia in a straight heavy barrel. We had this sendero laying around so instead of ordering one and waiting we decided to roll with it.

Well this is just such a cool rifle. Thanks for sharing all this info. I am very interested in this 338 Texan cartridge and I have a nice action that is soon due for a new barrel. I'm seriously considering the 338 Texan. I might be in touch to get more info on details of how to do this. I've done wildcats in the past but nothing this exotic. I honestly don't know the first thing of how to do it.

Thanks again and Happy New Year!

No problem. I would love to help you out. Let me know when your ready and I'll do all I can to make your build super fun.

Happy New Year!!

A long awaited plan was finally finished this week. I finally finished the stock on what's been a dream ever since JE Custom showed me the reamer drawing. The 338 Texan is a 338-375 Remington Ultra Mag improved. The H2O capacity is 119 grains. Jerry built this rifle on a Weatherby Mark V action. He placed a interrupted fluted Brux barrel measuring a staggering 31" long. The end of this massive barrel threads on a beautiful (and very functional) tuned Assassin brake. The stock was a custom order from Richards Microfit. I preformed the stock then sent it down to Jerry for bedding, barreled action insetting, ebony tipped fore end, and the Texas Star imbedded into the pistol grip. As Jerry said, "This thing is a fence post." We both had a good laugh. Once the custom dies arrived from Hornady, my son Zayne, dad and myself headed 20 hours to spend the day with Jerry. We took some time to visit, set up the dies, and reload some fireform loads. Once we made it home my first call was to Joel Russo. He gave me detailed instructions on how to make the stock as perfect as the barreled action. A month of sanding, shaping, and what seemed to be endless coats of truoil it all came to its final chapter on Fathers Day.
Now that all the hard work is done, it's time to shoot it. I can't wait. A special thanks to Jerry for his time, ideas and unbelievable craftsmanship. Also to Joel Russo for all the texting and phone calls. I know now why stocks cost so much. I never plan on doing one from a blank ever again...

That thing has Long Range Smack Down written all over it!.........Rich

I've always considered doing a 338 Edge AI but keep reading that there isn't much improvement in the velocity dept .... Currently the best load in my 338 Edge (30" bbl) is a 300 gr Berger Elite Hunter at 2900 fps ..... definately a very warm load but safe in my rifle with WS2 coated bullets,

How much velocity increase are you seeing in comparison to a standard 338 Edge load ?
also is the reamer available for rent (or purchase ...PT&G, Manson ) ?

Sorry once again I missed another post. (No coffee I guess) I was shooting for 3000 ft/sec with a 300 grain bullet and made many changes to the RUM case and the chamber dimensions that were needed. It achieved 3000 plus with ease and Jayson pushed it to 3150+ so 200 ft/sec over the Edge has been easy.

I have Dave Manson cut all of my reamers to avoid any problems on the big wildcats and have been very happy with their precision and cutting ability. (I don't trust any rented reamer because I don't know how they were treated) so for special projects I will only use a new reamer from Dave Manson. The only other reamer maker I trust is JGS so if they are close then that would be my back up if I couldn't get a Manson.

If you are going to start a project of this magnitude, I believe in having all of the dimensional changes incorporated into ONE reamer for precision and trueness.

J E CUSTOM

I shoot the 245 Hammer dead blow 3400 fps. There are no signs of pressure and it can eat more if I saw fit. The Texan line of cartridges are fun to shoot, easy to fireform, and will put a smile on your face every time you hit the giggle switch.

Last edited:
Hi Jerry......I like what you have done with the Texan. It sounds a lot like what I try to do with the smaller cases and more recently with the SAUM. I will be watching the progression with this build...regards/Rich

I built one of your rifles for a special project of yours a long time ago and was very impressed. I am also a big fan of the short mags and will build one for my self if I ever get time. There will always be "Bigger or faster" but like you I enjoy improving an already good cartridge which have more plus than Minus's.

J E CUSTOM

338 Texan before and after

Attachments

• FBCAAA3B-DCCE-4A5E-9B06-9A7FF6B23BA6.jpeg
    FBCAAA3B-DCCE-4A5E-9B06-9A7FF6B23BA6.jpeg
    268 KB · Views: 175
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.