Improved or straight 7mm SAUM/ Blaser Mag or 7-270 WSM

ZAR LRH

I'm mostly settled on a straight (or improved) 7mm SAUM / Blaser Mag or 7-270 WSM for my next build and I plan on running two different setups but identical chambered rifles, one for hunting and the other for target and steel shooting. The plan is to run 175gr-195gr bullets between 2950 -3100 fps with one of the colder burning powder, under 60k psi and also being able to run decent brass. I'm also leaning towards the sort of characteristics (broad tune window, inherent accuracy etc.) that the F class shooters normally look for in cartridge.

My first choice is the 7mm SAUM with a longer neck and shorter powder column, but I'm conscious of the fact that the type of performance I'm after could be at the upper end of the cartridge's ability, reducing brass life. Second would be either the 7mm Blaser or 7-270 WSM. I prefer the longer neck on the BM and the bigger case capacity, but unsure about the proven accuracy potential and ease of load (broad tune window). If it wasn't for the shorter neck on the 7-270 WSM (assuming that it is not much longer than the 7mm WSM), I would most likely have gone with it given the 35* shoulder on the 7-270 WSM and capacity balance between case in question and assuming the required performance is within the capability of the cartridge.

I'm also wondering about the improved versions of the BM and RSAUM.
Yes, I have considered the Sherman Mags and especially the Max, but I recently immigrated to New Zealand which makes things a little more complicated in sourcing/importing the items. So I have been playing around with some shoulder angles on the SAUM and BM, and "SLR" the 7mm Blaser to 35* as per the attached illustration loaded with the 195gr SMK (nts). I also included a 7mm PRC and an SLR 35* version to tickle the mind.

Question, can anyone verify the exact neck length for the 7-270 WSM or 7-300 WSM and how much of drawback is the shorter neck?
Any load data and experience that some of you could share with regards to an improved version of the Blaser Mag or RSAUM?
I suppose the SLR will result in some doughnuts forming at the neck-shoulder junctions. Best approach to eliminate or manage them?

7mm Comparison and Imp v6.png

Last edited:
I'm mostly settled on a straight (or improved) 7mm SAUM / Blaser Mag or 7-270 WSM for my next build and I plan on running two different setups but identical chambered rifles, one for hunting and the other for target and steel shooting. The plan is to run 175gr-195gr bullets between 2950 -3100 fps with one of the colder burning powder, under 60k psi and also being able to run decent brass. I'm also leaning towards the sort of characteristics (broad tune window, inherent accuracy etc.) that the F class shooters normally look for in cartridge.

My first choice is the 7mm SAUM with a longer neck and shorter powder column, but I'm conscious of the fact that the type of performance I'm after could be at the upper end of the cartridge's ability, reducing brass life. Second would be either the 7mm Blaser or 7-270 WSM. I prefer the longer neck on the BM and the bigger case capacity, but unsure about the proven accuracy potential and ease of load (broad tune window). If it wasn't for the shorter neck on the 7-270 WSM (assuming that it is not much longer than the 7mm WSM), I would most likely have gone with it given the 35* shoulder on the 7-270 WSM and capacity balance between case in question and assuming the required performance is within the capability of the cartridge.

I'm also wondering about the improved versions of the BM and RSAUM.
Yes, I have considered the Sherman Mags and especially the Max, but I recently immigrated to New Zealand which makes things a little more complicated in sourcing/importing the items. So I have been playing around with some shoulder angles on the SAUM and BM, and "SLR" the 7mm Blaser to 35* as per the attached illustration loaded with the 195gr SMK (nts). I also included a 7mm PRC and an SLR 35* version to tickle the mind.

Question, can anyone verify the exact neck length for the 7-270 WSM or 7-300 WSM and how much of drawback is the shorter neck?
Any load data and experience that some of you could share with regards to an improved version of the Blaser Mag or RSAUM?
I suppose the SLR will result in some doughnuts forming at the neck-shoulder junctions. Best approach to eliminate or manage them?

View attachment 191720
I think you're on the right track with your lineup.

I had a 7-270 wsm built on a LA and here's my thoughts on it.
I was able to achieve 3000 with a 180 using RL26 in a 26" barrel, and 195's maxed at 2900 with the same powder.
Everything else I tried was at least 100 fps slower, it was super accurate but brass didn't last long at those velocities.
If I built another 7 it'll be a Sherman max on my Tikka action

Depending on what's available to you the Blazer mag or 7-300 PRC are probably going to be your best bet in achieving the velocities you want

I'm running a 7 SAUM built on a long action stiller Predator and it is getting the 175 Berger Elite hunters out there at 2980 fps with H4831SC, haven't bothered with H-1000 or RL-26 because I got the speed and accuracy I wanted right out the gate but those may offer a bit more velocity. This is out of a 26" 8 twist Benchmark barrel and it was throated but COAL is under 3" so the long action wasn't necessary. So you may not need the bigger cases to get the speeds out of those bullet weights

Attachments

• IMG_5489.JPG
    IMG_5489.JPG
    771.1 KB · Views: 410
Thank for the input guys.

Buster Hemlock, what is your experience like with the Stiller Predator action?

I have two guns built on Stiller long actions. 300 win mag on a TAC300 and the 7 SAUM on the Predator. Stiller makes a great action from my experience both run smooth and when paired with a good stock, trigger, optic and quality barrel that is chambered well you won't be disappointed. Both my stiller actions have benchmark varmint/sendero contour barrels, timney triggers, the win mag is in a manners T4-A Elite stock with mini chassis, the SAUM is in a HS precision stock. Both were chambered by Clay Spencer with custom reamers and will shoot in the .3's on a bad day and typically better. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, bought them both direct through Stiller and the people there are extremely nice and helpful

300 win mag with the Stiller TAC300. Both obviously have optics on them now

Attachments

• IMG_4844.JPG
    IMG_4844.JPG
    985.3 KB · Views: 365
I've got an improved 37 deg blaser. 175-195 berger all shoot great. H1000 mainly so far, need to do more with Retumbo. Shoots stock rounds equally as well as fire formed ones. Love it.

I've got an improved 37 deg blaser. 175-195 berger all shoot great. H1000 mainly so far, need to do more with Retumbo. Shoots stock rounds equally as well as fire formed ones. Love it.

Thanks GoosePilot. What is your barrel length and velocities are you getting out of the rifle?

Probably best to search me as I am on the road away from notes. 24" , 68.3g h1000, berger 195, comfortably at a node at 2840 fps. Next node is 2920 so will see if retumbo gets me there comfortably.

Dave6.5 had a 26" version built that i copied. Bigngreen built Dave's and he has built Sherman 7max too. There are a couple threads in last year or so on blasers

With ADG 300 PRC brass, I have been in talks with some guys about a 7-300 PRC necked down. 94 ish grains of powder. It would be similar to a 7-300 win mag but with longer neck and no belt

Hi Rich, thanks, what is the length of the neck?
Isn't your 28 Sherman Mag based on a improved 270/280 case?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.