I'm glad I gave up on the Bergers

JARHEAD1371

After a lot of frustration, I decided to try the 162 gr Amax out of my 7mm SAUM. It took 3 sessions and my load work was done. I ended up with 65.5 gr of H1000, CCI BR2 primers, and a COAL of 3.017 (that's .005 into the lands on my rifle). This is a solid sub-MOA load in my rifle. I shot this group yesterday at 804 yds for my drops and velocity verification. The group measures 4.106 high and 2.195 wide for all 5 shots. The bottom 4 shots are 2.099 high and 2.195 wide. The conditions were good with 3-5 mph wind from 11 o'clock.
P9300097.jpg

The best groups I could get with the 168 and 180 Bergers were around .75 MOA constantly. I guess it's better late than never since antelope season starts tomorrow.

Thanks for looking.

Not every bullet works in every rifle. Glad you found a shooter. Do you know if your rifle's lead angle is cut to where it is suited for the ogive on the Berger? I understand they like a certain lead angle for best accuracy.

Not every bullet works in every rifle. Glad you found a shooter. Do you know if your rifle's lead angle is cut to where it is suited for the ogive on the Berger? I understand they like a certain lead angle for best accuracy.

It was chambered for the Bergers, for some reason unknown to me, it just doesn't like them as much as the Amax.

Hey jarhead I asked you some question about comparing the 270 wsm and the 7mm saum on the thread 7mm wsm, 7/300 wsm, or saum. It seems the 270 wsm with wildcat 169 bullets is untouchable by anything the 7 saum can do. It just seems you have expierence with both and would appreciate what you think about my question. Thanks

Hey Jarhead, I was having a hell of a time with bergers myself, just got my 7mm RM back from the custom shop and thought I would change to 168 VLD's. I was running tests from touching the lands to 10 and 15 thou off... got crazy today and took some to the range today: 10 at 10 thou off the lands, 10 at 45 off the lands and 10 at 80 thou off the lands. Useing 71 grains of retumbo in all the above loads my 10 at 10 thou gave me a group the size of a baseball at 200 yds, the next group of 10 at 45 thou off the lands went down to a consistant dime size group at the same 200 yds. the next group at 80 off started to open up horizontally so back to the range in the morning to work around 45 thou and fine tune.... I had read in a lot of posts that bergers like to sit close to the lands but as I found today some riles will like them if you give them a jump. hope this helps and wasn't to confusing in the way I wrote it... kind of in a hurry tonight...

By the way brother... Semper Fi
gun)

Last edited:
Guys, the article above was a real eye opener for me.

For those who gave up on the Bergers, I wonder how many first read and tried Eric's ideas on how to develop a load with VLD's such as Berger's.

Guys, the article above was a real eye opener for me.

For those who gave up on the Bergers, I wonder how many first read and tried Eric's ideas on how to develop a load with VLD's such as Berger's.

Guys listen to Len on this one he is right on the money! 12 rounds is all it took and in shooting 1/4 MOA at 200 yards with my 300 win.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.