If you could design a cartridge from scratch

You people that like long necks for good throat life ought to find this amusing. A made a spoof thread some while ago about a new creation of mine: "the .350 Sauropod 🦕 ". Sauropods are those huge dinosaurs with the long necks…this cartridge has a long neck too ;)

Ran a .375 HH case through a .358 Norma
Mag die.

Attachments

• D75C665C-72BA-4AE4-B217-E4A766AB7789.png
    D75C665C-72BA-4AE4-B217-E4A766AB7789.png
    945.1 KB · Views: 84
I form all kinds of cases from 308 Win and 30/06, headstamp means nothing. Also made 6.5x47 Lapua from Rem 22/250, shoots 1/2" at 200 yards in a deer rifle. Made 6 XC from 308 Chinese military brass, PMC 308, and Lake City Match 308, ended up with .400 long necks. I ordered a .275 Piloted neck reamer from PTG, and the gunsmith cut the neck longer in the chamber, then throated it for the 105s. Accuracy with even the Chinese military brass is nothing short of incredible.

In my life, I had one mix-up at the range. I was working up loads at the rifle range for a 7 Rem mag and a new 7 STW, alternating guns. I shot a 7 Rem mag in the 7 STW, and ended up with a case neck about 1/4" long, but no problems at all fire forming that case! I never did that again!

When I was a teenager, you could buy a 55-gallon drum of Lake City '06 brass for $50. We made everything from 22/250, 243, 6 Rem, 257 Roberts, 8x57, 7x57 from the '06 brass. Annealing with inside neck reaming was a given, later on we neck turned the outside of the necks replacing the inside neck reaming. Back then, inside neck reaming in a custom die was what the talking heads were all preaching. Dad also bought a couple of WWII jeeps in the wood crates to help us kids learn some skills.

Revisit the ignition stream of a heavy chamfer inside primer flash hole vs non-chamfer.
Know a fella who f'd up and shot a 280 out of his Rem 700 7 mag, not good, he then bought a 7STW

OK
I thought that it looked shorter than a 50BMG

This is a picture of Lake City 50BMG 660gr
The cartridge in the movie sure looks different. Look at the necks and shoulders.
View attachment 470679

Thanks!!!

I form all kinds of cases from 308 Win and 30/06, headstamp means nothing. Also made 6.5x47 Lapua from Rem 22/250, shoots 1/2" at 200 yards in a deer rifle. Made 6 XC from 308 Chinese military brass, PMC 308, and Lake City Match 308, ended up with .400 long necks. I ordered a .275 Piloted neck reamer from PTG, and the gunsmith cut the neck longer in the chamber, then throated it for the 105s. Accuracy with even the Chinese military brass is nothing short of incredible.

In my life, I had one mix-up at the range. I was working up loads at the rifle range for a 7 Rem mag and a new 7 STW, alternating guns. I shot a 7 Rem mag in the 7 STW, and ended up with a case neck about 1/4" long, but no problems at all fire forming that case! I never did that again!

When I was a teenager, you could buy a 55-gallon drum of Lake City '06 brass for $50. We made everything from 22/250, 243, 6 Rem, 257 Roberts, 8x57, 7x57 from the '06 brass. Annealing with inside neck reaming was a given, later on we neck turned the outside of the necks replacing the inside neck reaming. Back then, inside neck reaming in a custom die was what the talking heads were all preaching. Dad also bought a couple of WWII jeeps in the wood crates to help us kids learn some skills.

Revisit the ignition stream of a heavy chamfer inside primer flash hole vs non-chamfer.
I wish that there was some way to atleast mark a case has been changed. I've used file marks to count the number of times a case has been loaded. 1 time a friend shot a 270 through an 06. The wild shot and finally noticed the brass. Is there some chemicals that would stain or color brass without weakening it. The fact that it changes color means that it has done something to the brass chemically. Any ideas? I saw the entry about insta blue but it would nice if there were an assortment. I may need to start another thread if there's many ideas.

Current trends are doing alright, proper twists and overall shape is good. Honestly I'd like to re release cartridges with tweakes.

The wssm line, drop the 243 wssm and add a 358 wssm. Get the necks proper and twist them faster the 223 and 25 wssm.

Drop the 325 wsm, 338 rcm and make a decent short action mag 338. The 325 never was worth the squeeze over the 300 and the rcm was doa without more widespread backing. A modern faster twit amalgamation could do double duty as a short barrel brush round for bear where the 338 fed was just a tad anemic, and twisted well would be a heavy suppressor hitter for hogs.

The 24 nolser should be a 6mm banger like the 26 nosler. It's maybe at best the 4th or 5th best 6mm ar round, but a high zoot 6mm in today's market with long b.c bullets would at least sell velocity and drop numbers.

The 17 wsm should have been a 20... we had 2x 17 cal rimfires might as well has some better bore efficiency and a little more thwack down range. Still love my 17 wsm but wish it was a 20.

The 24 nolser should be a 6mm banger like the 26 nosler. It's maybe at best the 4th or 5th best 6mm ar round, but a high zoot 6mm in today's market with long b.c bullets would at least sell velocity and drop numbers.

Not really. We already have the .240 Weatherby which is a superb hunting cartridge for deer, pronghorn and Coues deer. Then there is the wildcat 6mm-06 or the Improved version which I also shoot.

Stumbling over our feet to get Nosler to create another cartridge for them to overcharge for is not relevant. The 26 Nosler is already on its way to extinction. Too bad in my opinion since the 121 Flat Line over Norma 217 (cool) is awesome to 1,200 yards.

1686992904441.png

1686993458769.png

Water capacity of the the 6mm-06 case (center) is about 3 grains more than the .240 Weatherby Magnum (left) and a grain more than the 6mm-284 (right).

:)

This sums up it up.

Darryle,

I have designed several over the years. No two are the same.

My most recent is nothing more than a .338RUM necked to 7mm and using 7RUM brass to gain an extra .100" neck length. After a few firings I started getting inexplicable high pressure. Then I realized the brass needs to be trimmed after EVERY firing. Therefore, I already drew up a plan for a new reamer. It will be nothing more than a .338RUM improved with a 40* shoulder and still use 7RUM brass. This should prevent brass growth. Oh yea, I discovered the reamer I received is about like a standard chamber so the brass grows in diameter and has to be forced back to shape. Before I order the new reamer, I will first purchase a couple hundred 7 RUM brass and measure all of them to find the largest base and have the reamer ground to that size.

Of course this will require custom dies. My present setup is a 7RUM die with .100" turned off the bottom and the edges smoothed.
If your under the assumption that Ackley Improving a RUM cartridge will "prevent brass growth", your sadly mistaken.

You may get 2, maybe 3 reloads and you'll find you have to trim.

Or you can do like me, and just plan for trimming every reload regardless.

As for wildcat design, I've drawn up more than a couple.
Issue is more the money involved.
Thoughts are free. But custom reamers, dies, and hard to find brass gets quite expensive.

What characteristics would you consider designing into this new cartridge?

What would be your desired outcome?
I have two wildcats (.30 LARA and .338 Thor) of my design, along with .270 AI (still a non-SAAMI) and .30 Gibbs, but "I" do NOT consider them starting from scratch, unlike the likes of .375 Ruger.

1686998652742.png

For me it would be the .270 Win with a longer throat, to accommodate 150 grn and 170 Grn. Bullets seated well out to the lands and groves. I think this imaginary change would allow for 60.0 to 61.0 grns of H4831 SC to increase the velocity to 3000 to 3100 fps with a 150 Grn Bullet. The bullet is only captured by the neck and does not enter into the case at all. Yes It would become a single shot rifle. Its what I did in a heavy custom Rifle, chambered in .270 Win with a fast twist Hart barrel 30 inches long. I think this modified .270 would be able to compete with the 6.5 Creed and 6.5 PRC at a 1000 1200 Yards Targets and still be able to have enough energy to take Mule deer /Antelope at 600 yards or beyond, if the shooter was able. I think the High G-1 BC of the 150 Grn ABLR or the 170 Grn Berger, would benefit from the additional velocity, in a faster twist barrel, this would generate. I have only a starting load , that was a conservative guess, when this first test was done 4 summers ago. the 300 yard Groupe with 150 Grn ABLR 1.1 inch . due to heavy barrel. I get this extra Long 270 Win was silly idea, it was just for fun!! and it WAS fun to shoot.

Attachments

• IMG_1711.JPG
    IMG_1711.JPG
    464.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1736.JPG
    IMG_1736.JPG
    504.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0041.JPG
    IMG_0041.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0057.JPG
    IMG_0057.JPG