Idaho hunt

Stay away from unit 39, too many roads with too many trucks & ATV's driving around all day everyday of the season. Unless of course, your looking for a fun happy-hour social experience during your "hunt?" It's BYOB and drunk driving is mandatory!

If your planning on spike camping, backpack camping... get a good 4 season (all-season) tent. There is enough excellent ultralight gear on the market to outfit yourself appropriately for anything the west can throw at you.

Don't skimp on boots, much of Idaho is steep and uneven ground and not all boots are made for this type of terrain. Whatever footwear you go with, put some miles on them and get them broke in. Problems with your feet will ruin a hunt with the quickness.

Delormne InReach is a must have, will help with navigation but it will also get you out of any trouble should Murphy's Law take place. Not sure if your hunting alone but if your by yourself don't leave the trailhead without this device. Know how to use it and have contingency plans with family and friends should you get into a sticky situation that you can not get yourself out of.

Get on OnX, Google Maps, Etc and scout where your going to be. If you can, make a trip out during the summer months and scout what you have decided on or are considering. If you have controlled hunt tags (which you won't know until mid summer, or 2nd draw tags which come out in July/Early August) do your research, get out and scout for a weekend. It will pay dividends when the season rolls a round.

Good physical condition, great boots, water proof fire starter and the best rain gear you can afford. Getting soaked in remote locations during cool/cold weather is a dangerous game changer!
Gear your thoughts and training towards being able to focus on hunting and not just surviving.

Add A hatchet to your list & how large of critters can be tagged - pack frame will separate?? How far out will U need to hike with Meat?? Heads?? B prepared for Large Clawed & Toothed Critters (up my way the Gunshot is the Grizzly Bear's Dinner Bell 🔔 {Cdn.Rockies}) - so pack that Bear Spray in easily accessible location - consider a small "Bivy Tent" or large sheet of waterproof & make a TeePee ⛺ or better/easier in my view - Leantoo with opening on fire 🔥- reflecting in
0 degrees & snow ❄ easily possible in End of October - ?? What Elevation & Environment & Flora???
Best to go out there with a freind to watch after the kill during butchering the animal once the bears smell blood that's the bad part gun shot noise is dinner bell for bears that's what my experience was

My secret weapon in addition to good hunting boots is LINER SOCKS! When I first started hunting out west the blisters nearly ruined my first hunt. I bought Kenetrek liner socks and a merino sock and they are a game changer. I catch them on sale at optics planet. 2019 I put in 7-12 miles per day and didnt even get a hot spot.

My back country weight is 55 with 5 days food. This is with optics and rifle. I run a solo alps tent, light bag, and down light blanket. Pad is air cell and light too.

The issue with Idaho and depending on where you are it can be 70 or down to 10. So it is really important to have a good clothing layer system that is light and effective. I run first lite gear and it's light weight and packable. I use the coat/jacket etc for sleeping on top of my bag if needed. Another thing is you want light but durable boots and pants. You'd be amazed how quickly that the boot and pant restriction will destroy in the back country. I run salomon boots.

Be prepared for any weather and make sure you have enough supplies, at least at your truck, to be there for a while. I was there two years ago, Sept 20 we got well over 2' of snow. Get in the best shape of your life and then some :))

That's not a super treacherous region in Idaho like the mountains in the central part of the state. There is tons of access roads in Tex Creek but expect to hike off the beaten path to find the herds. Bring layers, because at that time of year it can range from blistering cold to t-shirt weather. Like others mentioned above - good boots and a gps. A Shemagh is a wonderful thing.

Get a good compass and an accurate map and learn how to use both. GPS is nice but electronics do fail and the odds of a compass not working are slim to none. Idaho is rough good boot would rate high on the list along with a membership to the gym good luck

If you are hunting in an area with topography, then a compass is not even worth it's weight. Terrain recognition and a good map (with legend) are all you need.

One life or death item is a headlamp. Because of how critical an item it is, I wear one around my neck and have one in the pack. Modern headlamps are durable and waterproof such that if you properly install fresh batteries, you have nothing to worry about.

Lastly, if you are waiting until this hunting trip to try out your new gear - you're doing it wrong. Shakedowns are key to figuring out what you actually need and how your system actually works. Take notes!

I am going on my frist trip out west to hunt in idaho and was wondering if any one could give me tips on items and supplies to take. Going to be camping and backpacking. Thanks
what part of Idaho are you going to ????? the Desert in southern Idaho, the Mountains or the Hills in S. Eastern Idaho. totally different worlds to hunt in

I am going on my frist trip out west to hunt in idaho and was wondering if any one could give me tips on items and supplies to take. Going to be camping and backpacking. Thanks

I prefer a Kuiu pack but my buddy likes EXO. Big Agnes tent and sleeping pad. Jet Boil for sure. Marmont zero bag. Life straw and some kind of pump filtration purification. Black Diamond Carbon and cork Trekking poles - can be used to make portico with tent if needed. extra pair Kenetrek boot socks. I'm getting old just turned 70. My gear including rile, ammo, water, Mountain House food, soap rope and dope, 42 pounds. Never hunted Idaho but many hunts in the mountains of Colorado in and around Glenwood Springs, Marble, Aspen area. This along with good water filtration purification system will easily give you 3-4 nights in relative comfort above 9,000 feet.

Right now, a sports stadium is your friend. Find an empty sports stadium near you, and start running up and down the bleachers every day. When you can do that 15 times with relative ease, add a day pack with some sand bags or bottles or water. Keep challenging yourself. You will not believe how much elevation you will be climbing and descending when you get out west, and some or it will be in thin air (which you cannot duplicate at home).

Other recommendations are spot on: layers, lightness and Personal Locater Beacon. Good luck!

I'm by no means a machine by the way but some folks mention the pack weight. To me this is something you will have to decide yourself depending on your cardio and physical build. I didn't feel like 40lbs was bad at all (a good pack makes all the difference). We typically go to Wyoming to bow hunt.

Wat kinda shape you in....??? You,ve got the rite idea,spiking out.esp on public land.i,ve done it successfully several times in Alska,Montana and idaho.without a guide.i plan on adays travelback in to get deeper than other hunters.3-4 days at a time,30*+and a pack weighing 35#.NO FRILLS.. a 7# gun 4 loaded rds.freeze dried food...have a good partner...shoot one early in the trip if possible..
.has worked for me my partners all my life
Bill larson