Idaho hunt

I am going out to idaho with my dad but we dont know the area beside form maps. I am working at getting back in shape.

Wat kinda shape you in....??? You,ve got the rite idea,spiking out.esp on public land.i,ve done it successfully several times in Alska,Montana and idaho.without a guide.i plan on adays travelback in to get deeper than other hunters.3-4 days at a time,30*+and a pack weighing 35#.NO FRILLS.. a 7# gun 4 loaded rds.freeze dried food...have a good partner...shoot one early in the trip if possible..
.has worked for me my partners all my life
Bill larson
Also dont pass up the first one you may regret it you may go home to tag soup

I think I've got some good boots they have been the best par I've had. I do plan on getting in touch with the local wildlife biologist to get some help there. As far as predators I've got plans for that and it's not bear spray I value my life to much to trust that stuff.

If you're going to the upper Snake country you'll be in griz country. Since you'll be just east of IF (Idaho Falls) the risk may be lower but it's always good to...
  1. Hang your food at least 100 yds away from your camp, and
  2. don't cook/eat your food where you camp to sleep.
  3. lastly mid-Oct can be dry so be careful on what camp fire you may use.
Bear spray is effective. People get chewed on by griz every year in the Greater Yellowstone area. Keep the wind to your back if you spray that stuff.

And since you'll be close to IF at Tex Creek expect company vs. having the WMA all to your selves.

Last edited:
I know this could be a pain but a deer cart for when you start out walking a trail might be good to take. Energy saved, load lightened. To me it's worth it...yeah..they can be noisy but if your taking it easy walking, like scouting along the way and you use pieces of innertube (bike) to silence the noisy parts, for the most part, it will make your life easier. If you get somewhere where using it further is just not a good idea...well cable lock it to a tree..leave it for the return. Any game you get will be easier hauled back. Remember to take extra rope or para cord to tie things down tightly. Just my thoughts..never been to Idaho wilderness hunts but it seems like a idea worth consideration.

be very honest with yourself as far as fitness,,,more than a few out of state hunters have found themselves in some serious trouble by blazing out into completely unfamiliar territory. test all your gear out before hand. rent a satelite phone or get inreach, a good gps (and know how to use it) is a super good idea.

I know this could be a pain but a deer cart for when you start out walking a trail might be good to take. Energy saved, load lightened. To me it's worth it...yeah..they can be noisy but if your taking it easy walking, like scouting along the way and you use pieces of innertube (bike) to silence the noisy parts, for the most part, it will make your life easier. If you get somewhere where using it further is just not a good idea...well cable lock it to a tree..leave it for the return. Any game you get will be easier hauled back. Remember to take extra rope or para cord to tie things down tightly. Just my thoughts..never been to Idaho wilderness hunts but it seems like a idea worth consideration.

You can't take a wheeled game cart, nor ride a Mtn. bike in any Federal wilderness areas.

But where he's going isn't in a wilderness area.

I dont mean any offence to ones who use bear spray I just cant wrap my head around trusting it and if I am not comfortable with it then I dont see useing it. I expected to see people on the trail hunting a WMA We do plan on doing some site seeing why we are out that way.

I dont mean any offence to ones who use bear spray I just cant wrap my head around trusting it and if I am not comfortable with it then I dont see useing it. I expected to see people on the trail hunting a WMA We do plan on doing some site seeing why we are out that way.

That's up to you, but for those of us that actually live out here (me 18 yrs in ID and 10+ in MT) and have seen how effective the stuff has been in encounters then that's up to you.

Like I said Tex Creek is a low risk area being just east of a decent-sized city, and the Tex Creek WMA is primarily winter range. So your chances of encountering a griz there are low, but if you plan on returning and going into any back country your risk will go up.

Plus if you talk to any IDFG wildife bio or fed bio (I'm a retired Fed wildlife bio) they will give you the same advice if you plan on going into griz country.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/bearspray.htm

Good luck on your hunt.

Take a good set of binos and a spotting scope.

Only take shots within your capability.

Last edited:
You will get a lots of good advice from those with tons of experience through this thread: I would like to add one. No matter how well prepared you are, accidents can and do happen. Please purchase and carry with you a device that allows you to communicate, some how, with the rest of the world. This device should have the ability to transmit your location as well as your most immediate needs. This will require further investigation on your part! Good luck.