Idaho hunt

I am planning on hunting the tex creek wma of idaho on idaho fish and game said it's the upper snake region I believe. I have two weeks off of work planned for the trip right now just because of travel and set up etc. I was thinking about having some supplies in truck and going out for a few days and circling back resupply then going back out and finish the hunt so that way I can pack more and expand a lot of territory if I need to maybe drive to another part of where I am hunting. And no I am not in PFT shape right now but I've got a work out plan to. My goal as far as what I would like to do is be able to pack 200lbs about 20 miles before I go and do it with my training mask on. I know that's not like hiking in higher elevation but it's what I've got. I am not thinking I can carry 200lbs while I am out there but the more I do here at home i believe the better I'll be hiking out there.

Camping by the truck or spiking out?
Every thing light weight including the gun and I used a badlands 2200 pack every thing light weight in the pack water purifier and freeze dried foods and the little water boiler for the food lots of jerky and electrolytes powder for your water get into shape its rough country

Add A hatchet to your list & how large of critters can be tagged - pack frame will separate?? How far out will U need to hike with Meat?? Heads?? B prepared for Large Clawed & Toothed Critters (up my way the Gunshot is the Grizzly Bear's Dinner Bell 🔔 {Cdn.Rockies}) - so pack that Bear Spray in easily accessible location - consider a small "Bivy Tent" or large sheet of waterproof & make a TeePee ⛺️ or better/easier in my view - Leantoo with opening on fire 🔥- reflecting in
0 degrees & snow ❄️ easily possible in End of October - ?? What Elevation & Environment & Flora???

You need to be in top shape. What I do starting is June is fill my backpack up with anything that gets it to the weight i most likely will have on the hunt. Then I hike up and down mountains. I do this for sheep hunting but if the terrain involves mountains then best to practice and get good at what you will be doing. Final thought, get the best pair of boots you can afford and break them in on the hikes I mention above. Again, if mountains are in the game plan then you are going need great boots for support, protection from rain and cold ... turn an ankle, get a blister, wet feet your hunt will be over sooner than planned.

Thinking about a sleeping pad? You have to have a sleeping pad, otherwise the ground will suck your body heat away all night. I also like a little foam pad to sit or kneel on. Small binocs. GPS. Baby wipes. Rain gear. Extra socks.

I think I've got some good boots they have been the best par I've had. I do plan on getting in touch with the local wildlife biologist to get some help there. As far as predators I've got plans for that and it's not bear spray I value my life to much to trust that stuff.

Geesh - far be it from me now to talk about being in shape - but that is the real key. You can hike out of a lot of trouble if you can find water and don't freeze. :) Make sure you have some waterproof fire starter with ye as well.
And the lightweight tents today are amazing - well worth spending a few extra bucks for a light weight tent/emergency protection - that you have with you and not have left back at Spike camp cause it was too heavy - and hey - was just going for a quick look see, eh?.

I haven't decided yet which one leaning towards backpacking or spiking out.
Get a good compass and an accurate map and learn how to use both. GPS is nice but electronics do fail and the odds of a compass not working are slim to none. Idaho is rough good boot would rate high on the list along with a membership to the gym good luck

The most important thing is be in shape. Other things will then be fun.
You had better start right now getting in shape it takes a long time to get into the shape necessary to face those mountains. Are you meeting somebody out there or are you going out blind on your own? This makes a world of difference and hopefully you'll have somebody out there with a quipment already available. If you're going out blind, then I strongly suggest you contact some out outfitter or m.p guide or you may be facing disaster. It's awfully easy to get lost in those mountains.

Recent Posts