Idaho Boar/Mouflon hunt results and pics..........

When the 140s get here am planning to go to Shoshone and get a hog for the family reunion. It'll be a combination hunt. A combination of meat, terminal bullet performance hopefully a >500 yd shot and some good eatin'.

Don't think I ordered anything 'special' as far as jacket thickness or bonded etc. in the wildcats other than just 140 grains. Will be interesting to work up the drop chart for them.

Am really close to ordering something that will shoot the 169.5 gr at a respectable velocity. Still dreamin' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby,

Thanks for the info. I sent Richard an email. I normally use 225 or 210 gr Barnes Triple shocks. I'd like to stay in those weight of bullets cause I like the velocity they give me. I don't think this rifle is ideal for long range shooting so I'll probably keep it under 500yds.

Boman,

Richard makes a 225 gr FBBC that is a great bullet. Depending on jacket thickness, this bullet could be used on anything from pronghorn to moose with great results.

He sent me a couple dozen to test awhile back and they shot very well. Seemed to shoot better the harder I pushed them so keep that in mind.

Good SHooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Roy,

I assume you are planning on going to Richard Olsens place in Shoshone. If so better give him a call. He told us he was shutting the boar hunting down over the summer as he has had +250 pigs harvested this year along.

He may make a concession for a local guy but this is what he told us.

What is your idea of respectible velocity with the 169.5 gr ULD 270 bullets? I may have something that may get your attention if you want to play with the +3300 fps level. Let me know if you are and I will tell you what I have.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

4ked Horn,

Yes the 0.030" jackets are very hard to beat for what we hunt here in North America. Just no real need for anything heavier in most cases.

Richard told me he was finished seeding yesterday and now it was time to get back to bullet making.

He is putting out some 100 gr .224" bullets that is really getting me to think about building a 22 Allen Mag. I want to test them in my 22-6mm AI first and then I will decide.

With all the bullets Richard makes it is going to put me in the poor house, or make me rich!! Probably the former!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks again Kirby. I think I will send him an email and formally order my bullets. I have to say the more I know about Richard the more I like him. Email coming Kirby.

Thanks again for the great info about the gun and the hunt.

Kirby,
Have you used the 215gr FBBC? Richard said he's got both the 215 and the 225. I'd be happy with either of them I think. If I can get more velocity and the same type of accurarcy I might go for the 215.. Thanks for your help again.

Boman,

Have not tried the 215 but I would expect them to perform very well and very similiar to the 225 gr version. Would not worry much about using the 0.030" jacketed 215 on elk size game.

Good Shooting

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
Roy,
What is your idea of respectible velocity with the 169.5 gr ULD 270 bullets? I may have something that may get your attention if you want to play with the +3300 fps level. Let me know if you are and I will tell you what I have.

[/ QUOTE ]
Geez Kirby I pretty much know whatcha got as far as performance goes. We talked extensively via email this winter about something in the 338 class for LR elk and deer. Since then my things have changed a bit. I traded for a Ruger #1 in 375 H&H that is the sweetest thing I've messed with in a long time. Have about a 100 rounds through it on the bench and have pretty much settled on it for the elk gun. My 270 Win is going to my son as it has a right handed thumbhole stock and I now shoot left handed and I'm not about to remess with the bedding. Thus the acquisition of the 338 Win mag which could have been a project piece but is also replaced by the 375.

Your 270 AM is just the ticket for long range deer and even the opportune elk that what strolls.

One of the places for great deer is like your Shoshone situation and I'm concerned about the LRF not reaching as far as the AM will shoot. Its about perfect for the 270 Win ranges. But that's another story.

Whatcha got laying around? I'm about to spring the getting a new rifle on the family /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You have my email addy someplace.

Kirby,

Nicely done and good story. I think it is important to tell about the shot that got away as well as or successes so we can all get something from them.

Shawn,

I know you have been playing with the new Swar range finder for a while. What is your opinion of this model compared to the Leica 1200?

From what I have been hearing it sounds like it is a pretty significant improvement over the leica 1200, what go you think from your hands on experience?

Thanks,

Kirby Allen(50)

Hi Kirby
Which direction was the ram facing when you initially shot at him?
If the range had of been correct then this would have been a headshot?
Just wondering on the the usual gremlin - the wind call?
APB

APB,

The ram was standing with his head to the left and quartering to me slightly. Probably about a 25 to 30 degree quarter to me.

Had I doped the range correctly the bullet would have landed just to the left of the point of his left shoulder.

Admittedly a bit farther to the left then what would be perfect but would have easily clipped the forward major arteries to the heart and the offside lung as well as breaking the offside shoulder.

So no I did not judge the wind perfectly but it was well within reason to get the bullet into the vitals and put the ram down instantly probably.

As it turned out, I did put him down instantly but, I just gave him a real bad headache /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,
I paid big retail bucks just like everyone else that has one right now and it was worth every penny. I have gotten solid range on rocks, several times past 1900 YARDS 1982 was the longest. Compared to the Lecia there isn't any. The Swaro is on a planet by its self right now. The optical clarity is good enough to glass with, it has a collaspable eyepiece for use with glasses, it is light and fairly small. I don't think anyone else is even close. 2 of my customers have them also and have had the same experiences with theirs. They both sold their Lecia 1200's to by the Swaro after using mine. I hope you get one and never look back.

Side note: I am working on a new single shot version of a 338 EDGE I'll send you a photo when I have it done in a month or so, it will be .... different.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.