Shooting results !!!!!! (Today) Pics added!!

Big buck,

First off your shooting is impressive. Yes something happend on the first group to cause the vertical string but it's only one group. Your 800 group was fantastic. All the advise you've been given is great and will do nothing but help you fine tune your shooting. Keep in mind though that even the very best shooters will shoot bad groups now and again. You do need to learn follow through and develop a regimen that you do the same every time. Once you do that if you shoot a bad group don't try to change everything. If you consistently have the same problem then it's time to diagnose and change something. Also an easier way to track threads you start or even make comments in is in the upper right of the page you'll see a tab called quick links, then scroll down to subscribed threads.

Best of luck!
Jason

Not to be a smart ***, I actually want too know, but how the hell do you keep your crosshairs on the target when shooting large magnum calibers?? I sure never can not matter how I hold the gun
Today I shot the same MOA from 250 over the hood of my suv as I did at 100 from a wood bench, my new load wasn't what I expected/wanted, but I was consitant from bench to hood at least.

No offense taken. It all has to do with how you position your body behind the gun and how you have the butt of the gun set in your shoulder. A muzzle brake will surely help but you are getting a lot of extra noise for the reduction of recoil (significant reduction). That is something that you have to decide yourself if it is worth it for you or not. You WILL have to wear hearing protection if you have a muzzle brake. You really need to be directly behind the gun with the butt of the gun straight in the pocket of your shoulder. When the gun recoils back into you, it is going to go in the path of least resistance. If you have the gun sitting too high in your shoulder it is going to bounce up. Also, if you have it too far to the left or right, it will bounce off of your shoulder in the opposite direction.

It is very hard to do so with a magnum caliber rifle and that is why a lot of people cannot shoot these guns accurately up close or at a distance. Some people have a lot of success by holding the forend of the gun while they are lying prone so that they can tame the bouncing. You have to becareful in doing so because you can actually apply too much pressure to the forend with your grip and make the rifle move in the direction of the pressure from your grip.

I personally have muzzle brakes on all of my rifles now because I like to see my impacts and following through really does help your accuracy. I am a believer in wearing hearing protection when you are shooting any gun so the extra noise is not a big deal for me. I am a Pistol firearms instructor and was on the range 5 days a week for 3.5 years. We wore inner foam ears and earmuffs and when it is silent, I have a ringing sound in my ears. I can only imagine how I would be if I didn't wear hearing protection.

I am a Pistol firearms instructor and was on the range 5 days a week for 3.5 years. We wore inner foam ears and earmuffs and when it is silent, I have a ringing sound in my ears. I can only imagine how I would be if I didn't wear hearing protection.

I am gonna have to start shooting prone and see how it works out for me, thanks for all the tips guys, and also investing in a better muzzle break.

A good friend and duck hunting buddy of mine was a firearm instructor after he semi retired from law enforcement. Way back when they used little if any in the way of ear protection, poor guy is pretty much deaf at 83, but he still is one heck of a shot with all weaponry.

WOW.. what great stuff.... I never realized how great this website was until now... I'm going to be hanging around for along time...

ps... I would like to see more pictures... since a picture is worth a thousand words... so us something... or even add some little video clips...

WOW.. what great stuff.... I never realized how great this website was until now... I'm going to be hanging around for along time...

ps... I would like to see more pictures... since a picture is worth a thousand words... so us something... or even add some little video clips...

Glad you like it:)
If you liked this thread your going to love the really long range hunters /shooters on this site !
I just learned how to post a pic so the video may take a while.

Run a search on these 2 members Broz or Shawn carlock . You can see some awesome pics and videos. They are very nice and humble !

Yea..notice I said PISTOL firearms instructor haha. We do use rifles but it is short distance work for what we do. I have learned all my longrangehunting skills from people on this site and I am still lacking in the skill department there.

Big buck, I your doing great and I will be catching up with you on the distance shooting soon!

Yea..notice I said PISTOL firearms instructor haha. We do use rifles but it is short distance work for what we do. I have learned all my longrangehunting skills from people on this site and I am still lacking in the skill department there.

Big buck, I your doing great and I will be catching up with you on the distance shooting soon!

Thank you Sir.
Looking forward to your success ! Make sure you take some pics to show us :)
Happy shooting.....

Re: Shooting results !!!!!! (Today) Pics added!! UPDATING 7/27/12

Going to give it another try tomorrow morning early . Shooting close to 1000 if the corn isnt too tall.

Will try and take some pics of the target and shooting location:).

Going to give it another try tomorrow morning early . Shooting close to 1000 if the corn isnt too tall.

Will try and take some pics of the target and shooting location:).
Good luck.

Keep in mind if that corn is irrigated or you are not in the drought zone, whatever the humidity is at your shooting position it's probably going to be about 95% over the corn field when doing your calculations.

Good luck.

Keep in mind if that corn is irrigated or you are not in the drought zone, whatever the humidity is at your shooting position it's probably going to be about 95% over the corn field when doing your calculations.

Its not irrigated . Thanks tho, I will try a different set up this time bi- pods and off a sheet of ply wood instead the truck hood:)

Its not irrigated . Thanks tho, I will try a different set up this time bi- pods and off a sheet of ply wood instead the truck hood:)

Keep her solid buck. Get the bags tight and well placed under the rear. Do a few dri fires first and see how the crosshairs stay put. Close your eyes for a 3 count and see if it is still on target when you open them. If they move use less muscle to hold the rifle. Feel the recoil pad just a little on top your shoulder so you know the bipod is slightly loaded just enough to remove the slack. I hope you get some good conditions and it all goes well for you. But either way you will have fun and lean something I bet.

Jeff

If you put a 2x across the front edge it'll give you a good solid brace to lean into the bipod.

Good luck, have fun, shoot well.gun)

Thanks Broz, Wildrose.

I will try these techniques. I will try and take pics of the impact shots AND the shooting layout/target . I will post results good or bad .

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.