crow shooting today

ewallace

I went out today looking for crows to brake in my new 6x47 lapua. I drove around searching stopping by a couple farms with no crows on the ground then I stopped by my third spot and there were a couple in a hay field I parked and had to stalk to the top of a small hill. I set my XP on top of my ammunition case and ranged one of the crows it was 273 yards with very light wind and having a 100 yard O I put 3 MOA into the scope and pulled the trigger. Here is a couple pics of the crow and XP
P1000895.jpg

P1000896.jpg

Many years ago the USA had some issue they needed Mexico's support on and Mexico wanted crow shooting controlled, for some reason, so the USA agreed to impose limits on hunting crows in return for Mexico's support for whatever the USA's concern was at the time. We have had a crow season since. Crow's are not classed as game. The federeal Government classes the crow as a migratory bird so they set a maximum number of days that crows may be hunted and leaves it up to the states to set their season as they wish as long as they don't exceed the number of days allowed. The SC season ran from Nov 1 to March 1 for the 2009-2010 year.

Most states have a depredation clause that allows them to be shot if they are eating crops. Check your local regs, mileage may vary.

Most states allow depredation exceptions on most animals, game and otherwise, but you had best check local laws. SC deer depredation provisions require a permit obtained by the owner. Don't know about crows in SC. Have never inquired.

Alfred,

When I was in the army and stationed in KY, the migratory game bird treaty had already gone into effect. TNs reaction (where I actually lived at the time) was to have a crow season that was open about 11 1/2 months out of the year . . . but it was only open on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Always thought that was a pretty good way to meet the required number of closed days to satisfy the Mexican government, without really getting in the way of anything. Wonder if it's still that way? Some of my first ever long range hunting way back then involved crows, a Remington 700 VS, 24x Leupold and 85 grain HPBTs.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

What's the total weight on that beast and how much of the weight is in the stock...man it's a big one. Cool looking rig and great shooting...crows are small buggers at 273 yards.

Kevin, What caliber were you shooting the 85 gr bullets in?

ewallace, sure would like to see a picture of the right side of that gun. Neve seen one quiet like it.

What's the total weight on that beast and how much of the weight is in the stock...man it's a big one. Cool looking rig and great shooting...crows are small buggers at 273 yards.

The XP-100 is 13 pounds and the stock is around 4 pounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.