I want but not sure if I need....

GByrd

Good morning.

Ive always been fascinated with long range shooting. I still remember the first time I reached out and touched a target that was 500 yards away, remeber it just like it was yesterday.

Going back to my post..I want but don't need a LR rifle. The longest range I have access to is 100 yards. Where I hunt i have some areas that are clear out past 1000 yards but thses areas are obly accessible during season so i cant be frivilously shooting.

I'd like to get into the game but with range distances limited how could i reliably practice? Any of you in similar conditions? What did you end up doing? For right now Im building a 10/22 with open sights for 100 yards.

What in the world does need have to do with want?

When your wants are fulfilled no needs remain.

We only live once and who wants to kick the bucket with their dreams still in there?

Not me and I'm bettin' not you either.:)

Lol. I hear ya. Im just wondering if ill get a chance to use it much. Id like a pig/coyote gun for 600 yards, but paper punch capable to 1k. Thatd be awesome and I see those types of shots pretty often.

I also dont know where to start caliber wise either. I know what id use for a bench gun at 1k(6.5 varient). But for the chance id get to use it and the amount itd get shot and at the diatances id see being mid range i dont know if i should go for something different or not. Barrel burners wouldnt be a big issue because of low round count.

A short heavy barreled 308 or 6.5 creedmore would work great for everything from 100 to 600 yards.

What royinidaho said. gun) I try to never let need interfere with my want list. I would go for something in the 6.5 calibre in a non-magnum cartridge and have fun. :D

I started a thread about "insurance" so to speak after hunting season last year. Basically we all have "long range rifles" so to speak, but how often do we use it? Not hardly ever. But.........When that animal that is 800+ away, you have the insurance of a long range rig. That long range rig still kills in close. Like Roy said, you will always say what if. For what it is worth a 6.5 variant would be good for hunting too. Good luck

There has to be someplace within a 100 or so miles from you where you can shoot past 100 yards. Maybe you just get to go and spend two of three weekends a year there but that is good enough time to verify you long range rig if you use it wisely. Then you might just be capable of long range shots during the hunting season on the property you hunt.

I agree with the others. A 6.5 something would be great. I have a Creedmoor setup for long range and love it.

The thing about long range hunting is the amount of latitude one is allowed to define what that means to one's self. Then redefine what it means as skills and opportunities improve.

This is a fairly flexible endeavor. Some have put forth different limits, at different times in an effort to sharpen the discussion, but really it's what you want it to be. Yes various matches incorporate tactical and hunting scenario's, but there is nothing that says you can't drive into the mountains and define your own limits, using the equipment you have at hand.

Put yourself together a sub MOA rig with good optics in the platform and caliber of your choice.

260 Rem is my choice for a non magnum to get to those ranges and of course the 300wm is a great all around caliber, so too is the venerable 7mm Rem.

Just cruise the classifieds here and sooner or later something that really appeals to you will pop up so just start socking cash away now and be willing to be flexible on caliber and sooner or later one will pop up that just fits.

If you really get the long range bug you can start knocking on farmers/ranchers doors until you find one willing to let you shoot on their property if there's no open public land or ranges within reasonable driving distance.

The farmer's land may actually be a working idea. Lots of that here in south texas. So there's some hope still, lol. You guys should be motivational speakers.

I've been burned before buying used firearms that I couldn't handle before purchase so I'd prefer to buy local, build, or buy new.

I think I'd like to try a Savage Are there any factory offerings I should look at or is this definitely a build? I have a brand new Savage Trophy Hunter xp in 243 in the safe that I could use as a donor action.

I've also considered building an LR308/AR10 type platform as it's not something I have right now. Would now be a good time to explore that but in a 6.5?

Budget of around 1k up front or 1500 over a build without glass is probably what I'd like to spend.

I've got some pretty nice hunting rifles already but there's no harm in having one more right?! Plus it'll be cheaper to feed compared to my 270 wthby. How could my wife not see that reasoning?

243 is actually a descent long range caliber. There are some nice bullets out there with descent BC's. I am thinking about getting something like that together for varmints up to deer and then when I have kids old enough just put a shorter stock on it when they get older.

Stock trim on this one is 1:9.25 twist I think so it wouldn't be suitable for anything much bigger than 100 grain I dont think. It also has the underside bolt release which apparently limits my stock choice(Choate seems to be the only one)

I've read some very positive things about 243 also, but I have no experience past a couple hundred on medium sized animals.

My sister used a 243 for deer for years and never lost one, but longest shot she's taken was probably inside of 300 yards.

Savage Long Range Precision (LRP) is a very popular, accurate off the shelf rifle that can do what you want. Is is under $1000. It comes in .243, .260, and 6.5 Creedmoor.

The action is great. It is basically a Savage target action except is is opened up at the bottom with a DBM. The trigger is the target version of the Accutrigger and can be adjusted down to 6 oz. The stock is a HS Precision and aluminum bedded, a very good stock. They make very good long range hunting rifles out to 600 yards or so at the elevations you are probably hunting.

I think this would actually be cheaper than trying to use the Savage .243 you have as a donor and have more predictable results.

I just set my 11 year old son up with a Savage Predator Hunter in .243. Same rifle that you have in your safe except the predator hunter has a heavier barrel. I think it may surprise you how well that little rifle will shoot the way it is. Yes the stocks leave a lot to be desired. But my son was shooting 3/4" groups with factory ammo. I can't wait to see what it will do with some load development. I am even thinking of getting one for myself now.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.