Was sure I had built a winner, but...

Check out bugholes, they will do a bartlein with their bugnut system as a Savage prefit. Pretty sweet system.

Probably 150-175 rnds...Did pull the stock, and i have just bought a new model 11 LRH in 6.5 creedmore (couldnt pass on the deal) and noticed that its stated that the barrel and barrel nut are free floated....Well, when i used the Devcon, i did like a reg action, bedded about the first 1-1/2" ahead of the recoil lug .....Guessing that is NOT the way to do it...long story short, it is now free floated up to the recoil lug, torqued frt to 35 in lbs and rear to 30....we will see

I am planning to mess with the torque settings at the bench, once i see if i made a difference in the basic accuracy...seem most of the torque settings have the rear screw 5 in lbs less than the frt.....but i will try different combos at the bench....And THANKS to all the replys, i had all but written the rifle/barrel off because of frustration, and the help i recieved kept me from waving the white flag....But thats why i posted here...

nitriding can be done wrong but I have used many for years and never had an issue plus sold hundreds on ARs and even in AR they shot sub moa.

I have seen bad ones done though so I know it can be done wrong. My guess is its something else. I have seen the rare Krieger that did not shoot well but it was rare. With that said I use Bartlein almost exclusively if I can.

Put together a Savage LA 6.5x284 with a Krieger 26" bbl, chambered by Krieger,1-8.5 twist , salt bath nitrided, bell and Carlson bedded stock (tang free floated) with decent 5-30 Frontier scope. Trigger about 2 lbs. For the load work up I've tried H4831sc , H4350, Win 760 , Retumbo ,RL 17. Bullets, Berger 140vld hunting, Berger 140 elite, Nosler 140 Cust Comps, 100 gr Barnes ttsx , and nosler 100gr ballistic tips. And loads ladder tested. Didn't do but 3 shot groups @100 , but still best accuracy is about 1 moa. I have even removed and re head spaced bbl. I have built other Savages that shoot 1/4 moa, and keep accuracy out to 500+ yds....(not that I am a great builder, but I know the procedure) I guess I'm looking to see if anyone has had a high quality barrel that they just couldn't get to shoot? I know that some will say try 120's or 130's or etc....but with the life expectancy of the cartridge, don't know if I want to keep chasing a ghost. Might just go new cartridge to ?????
I would try going down to the 130gr bullets as you may be in the marginal stability area with the 1:8.5 instead of 1:8 twist barrel.

You can spend a whole lot of time and money changing everything else, this will cost you just one box of bullets.

Last thing most people think of is the scope, me too. Saw where one poster mentioned it.

I have a Savage BVSS 112 in .300WinMag that shot pretty good from day one and I had a Leupold LR/T setting on it. Thought about bedding the stock but after the very first 3 shot group at 300yds I said "Hum, don't need bedding". Well this rifle stayed pretty much in this configuration for a number of years but I acquired other rifles and changed the scope out to another. I put what I thought was a "decent" scope on there and started it back up. I shot it a little but also have a 6.5-284, .308 and a .270 Allen Magnum that requires my attention. My groups opened up to MOA or worse with the .300 and I never equated this to the recent scope swap. I recently put a NightForce SHV 5-20X56 on it and Wham! I'm still shaking my head. Nothing wrong with the rifle or load. This thing is drilling holes at 100yds with the 212 ELD-X (same hole) and shooting 1/4 MOA out to 1200yds. I am ecstatic to say the least.

I probably would have accepted the rifle and it's groups, thinking the barrel was getting shot out, my bullets were different lengths, Alliant doesn't do powder well, Hornady cases suck, I'm getting old, whatever. You never know.

Yeah, that was the thought process I was headed for....I have another scope that I can switch to if this doesn't get me going in the right direction.....going to make sure the recoil lug isn't bottomed out (did tape the bottom, but I'll double check now). I was having a real hard time blaming the barrel, that's why we buy the best parts, it gives us a greater chance of superb accuracy.....have a hunt coming up the end of this week, so it might a week or so, but I will report back...

I dont think its the scope. They normally dont break just a little. If its off slightly its usually the rings or base. You are probably on right track with the bedding and torque.

Another +1 for the CBI barrel. I have one in 6.5x47 on a Savage 110 that shoots incredibly well. I still have the Savage 7RM barrel and it shot well, but am thinking of getting a CBI 7RM as well.

Well, i knew this was the site to use in my problem solving.....As i said, i removed the bedding in frt of the recoil lug, torqued to 35 in lbs frt, 30 rear....first couple loads had me wondering which one of you nice people would like a Krieger bbl for shipping costs !!! Tried going up in torque to 50 frt 45 rear, and other amounts,didn't like that...then i found the "magic" combo....at least to start at...1st pic is 3 shot at 100...H4831sc @ 49.3 gr and Berger Elite hunter, 2nd pic is H4831sc @49.5....think i'll try to duplicate the 49.3 performance, only loaded 3, and call it good if it flies. Again, thanks to each and every one of you, as i had hit a point of major frustration, and you all made me keep working on it....rsbhunter

Attachments

• PA250001.JPG
    PA250001.JPG
    560.6 KB · Views: 118
  • PA250002.JPG
    PA250002.JPG
    433.2 KB · Views: 109
did you shoot it before nitriding? if so, how did it shoot? I have never had it done so I dont know but shouldn't the barrel be broke in before the nitriting?

Good luck Hope you figure it out :)

No, i had the barrels (6.5x284 and 6XC) sent to the nitride place from Krieger and PacNor directly, then to me. The 6xc is a one hole machine with a lighter contour bbl..I don't think its the nitride now, I believe that my bedding job has been the problem all along..Hopefully this will prove out....These last groups are totally acceptable for a hunting rifle....And the credit goes to all the guys that contributed to the post, Thank you all

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.