Was sure I had built a winner, but...

rsbhunter

Put together a Savage LA 6.5x284 with a Krieger 26" bbl, chambered by Krieger,1-8.5 twist , salt bath nitrided, bell and Carlson bedded stock (tang free floated) with decent 5-30 Frontier scope. Trigger about 2 lbs. For the load work up I've tried H4831sc , H4350, Win 760 , Retumbo ,RL 17. Bullets, Berger 140vld hunting, Berger 140 elite, Nosler 140 Cust Comps, 100 gr Barnes ttsx , and nosler 100gr ballistic tips. And loads ladder tested. Didn't do but 3 shot groups @100 , but still best accuracy is about 1 moa. I have even removed and re head spaced bbl. I have built other Savages that shoot 1/4 moa, and keep accuracy out to 500+ yds....(not that I am a great builder, but I know the procedure) I guess I'm looking to see if anyone has had a high quality barrel that they just couldn't get to shoot? I know that some will say try 120's or 130's or etc....but with the life expectancy of the cartridge, don't know if I want to keep chasing a ghost. Might just go new cartridge to ?????

I wouldn't switch cartridges, 6.5x284 is capable of excellent accuracy. I would continue to eliminate other factors such as the action screws torque, potentially loose scope ring or base screws and try a different scope.

If everything checks out ok , I'd say you may have a bum barrel. Poor shooting barrels from the top manufacturers are very rare but it happens.

I had a buddy that went through a very similar situation. After eliminating EVERY other option. He sent the barrel back. New barrel on and BOOM! 1/4 MOA groups

After checking optics and everything WeiserBucks suggested, I'd give Krieger a call and let them know what you've tried. They will either have some suggestions or tell you to send it to them. They don't get that type of reputation from not taking care of their customers. They want it to shoot too.

Have no personal experience with an 8.5 twist, but all the 8 twists I have been around shot 56.5 grains of Retumbo, 140 Bergers (Hybrid or Hunting), Lapua brass and 210M's pretty well. I did have an 8 twist that didn't shoot worth a crap as you have described, sent it back to the manufacturer and they warrantied it...bad barrel.

My current 6.5 284 is a Savage with a Brux 8 twist. It likes RL26 and 147's pretty well. I wouldn't move away from the cartridge, the ones I've been around are very accurate, not too picky and a hell of a lot of fun to shoot.

Mine is an 8.5 twist and shoots very well with 57 grains of Retumbo and 140 VLD, Lapua brass with CCI BR2s

I am going to swap scopes....have checked mounts, rings, etc....will look at bedding job again. I am not bashing Krieger at all, i have a 300 RUM custom with a Krieger that will shoot liars groups at 500 yds.....So before i even think of sending it back, i will be double checking everything else....I started the whole process with the powders and bullets that were "good to go" and i believe they are, but i have the exception to the rule, or i am missing something.....3 shot group is about the best, 2 shot, why waste the 3rd bullet
PA220004.JPG
PA220003.JPG
PA220003.JPG
PA220003.JPG
PA220004.JPG
PA220003.JPG

I'm betting Kreiger will not warranty after its been nitrided if there not the ones that had it done. Next one I would forgo the nitride. I know of a well respected BR shooter who had one done did o.k. next one it ruined said he would never do it again. I know some are gonna say they have had no problems but seems like a crap shoot to me. Kreiger makes a fine barrel so somethings up. Everybody can make a dud but if there's a problem with the barrel I would put my money on the nitride contributing to it.

That had crossed my mind as well....i had 2 barrels done at the same time, other is a pacnor 6xc that shoots incredibly, but that means nothing....i dont expect anything from Krieger, i took ownership when i had it nitrided. Not even upset, just confounded....BUT....gives me a good reason to screw on a new bbl......might go alittle heavier, light varmint contour, as this is a sporter contour......looking at CBI barrels , as i have heard they are the button rifled version of the Krieger ?????

I love 1st hand experience,thank you all very much. if it comes to it, i will rebarrel with a cbi.... without the nitride...just figured the nitride might extend bbl life.....but you dont buy a Ferrari to idle it down the road...And i probably wouldnt ever shoot a 6.5x284 enough to shoot out the bbl....it will be for hunting

I think the 6.5x284 earned its barrel burner reputation in the 1000 yard bench rest competitions . Those guys shoot a ton and during a competition, they will take advantage of a break in the wind and send as many rounds down range as possible before conditions change , super heating the barrel in the process.

That had crossed my mind as well....i had 2 barrels done at the same time, other is a pacnor 6xc that shoots incredibly, but that means nothing....i dont expect anything from Krieger, i took ownership when i had it nitrided. Not even upset, just confounded....BUT....gives me a good reason to screw on a new bbl......might go alittle heavier, light varmint contour, as this is a sporter contour......looking at CBI barrels , as i have heard they are the button rifled version of the Krieger ?????
Bartlein builds one hell of a barrel. So do Rock Creek, and Obermeyer.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.