I want but not sure if I need....

It might be a decent setup as is. I need to give it a shot, literally. The factory stock is so flimsy it touches the barrel easily. In a new stock it'd look funny with the factory barrel in a heavy barrel channel. There again it's the choate with aluminum bedding block. I already have a 6.5CR in a pistol, so if I went 243 I'd have to setup to reload that too.

New stock, barrel, and trigger is about 700$. Which isn't too bad honestly.

The LRPs are about 900+ I think.

For 700$ can I get anything else in the same ballpark? I bought the 243 as a guest/kid gun and it's perfect for that.

The farmer's land may actually be a working idea. Lots of that here in south texas. So there's some hope still, lol. You guys should be motivational speakers.

I've been burned before buying used firearms that I couldn't handle before purchase so I'd prefer to buy local, build, or buy new.

I think I'd like to try a Savage Are there any factory offerings I should look at or is this definitely a build? I have a brand new Savage Trophy Hunter xp in 243 in the safe that I could use as a donor action.

I've also considered building an LR308/AR10 type platform as it's not something I have right now. Would now be a good time to explore that but in a 6.5?

Budget of around 1k up front or 1500 over a build without glass is probably what I'd like to spend.

I've got some pretty nice hunting rifles already but there's no harm in having one more right?! Plus it'll be cheaper to feed compared to my 270 wthby. How could my wife not see that reasoning?
If you're thinking along those lines give serious look to an LR308 platform in .260 Rem. Call Accuracy Systems Incorporated in Colorado and see what he can do for you. It's very affordable to just add an upper if you already have one in .308. That's one of the major pluses in the AR Platform. You can build uppers in several different calibers and run them all off of the same lower.

You might want to check on GB for an LR260 and see what they are selling for these days.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.