I think my 7STW is done!

jasonco

Got a scope to look in my chamber/barrel today and it ain't good, but it was fun for long time! My Savage 110 was built in the early 1990's and chambered in 7 STW, with a 27 Shilen. Not sure which way I'l go with it, I have a lot of equipment invested into this cartridge, but I'm thinking 28 Nosler, and the extra long magazine won't hurt?!

Attachments

• 7stw shilen barrel 2.JPG
    7stw shilen barrel 2.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 282
  • 7stw shilen barrel.JPG
    7stw shilen barrel.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 271
I just redid my Rem Sendero that was a factory STW. I put a 30" Medium Whitney Palma 8.25 twist with a SAMMI chamber. I am right at 3.9 when .030 OTL. I have a Wyatts 4" mag added. Really shoots the 195s well. I think with the proper twist barrel, a 7STW can run or even out run a 28 Nosler. Here is a little more reading if you have not ran into this yet. https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/7stw-refresh.191205/#post-1343198

jjw
ND

How does it shoot? How many rounds through it? When (round count) and how bad did the accuracy degrade?

An old high power shooter I knew had a .300 Win mag 40X with NO rifling for the first 6 inches or so of his barrel when he felt the need to replace it. Some rifles keep shooting with crappy looking bores.

Good luck

Jerry

How does it shoot? How many rounds through it? When (round count) and how bad did the accuracy degrade?

An old high power shooter I knew had a .300 Win mag 40X with NO rifling for the first 6 inches or so of his barrel when he felt the need to replace it. Some rifles keep shooting with crappy looking bores.

Good luck

Jerry
It still shoots awesome for 5 shots, then it's a shotgun. I'v lost count on the round count, but it's over 1K. Lots of load development (maybe too much), a lot of time on the 1000 yd range and everything that I killed with it is DRT. I didn't notice how bad it was until February when I had finally gotten around to do some testing with the 180 VLDH and the the lands where way out there! It was a great barrel.
I'm just gonna go with another Shilen with a 28 tube this time, but this is on hold for the moment, just acquired a late season doe pronghorn tag here in CO and my new 6.5x284 Norma rebarreled 110 needs some love!

Jason....these STWs really benifit from a faster twist (at least 8.25) to make the most out modern heavy high BC bullets. It will be a totally different gun ....so much better then the one it replaced even when it was at its best.

IMHO

jjw
ND

Here's a current picture as it is today, Early 90's vintage Sav110 w/1/4" lengthend mag well and box, Canjar trigger, Choate Tactical stock, 20MOA EGW base, 10x40-56 30mm optic with scope level and angle cosine indicator, 27" Shilen and my gunny deleted the barrel nut, a Witt Machine brake.

Attachments

• Sav7STW2.JPG
    Sav7STW2.JPG
    553.7 KB · Views: 169
Jason....these STWs really benifit from a faster twist (at least 8.25) to make the most out modern heavy high BC bullets. It will be a totally different gun ....so much better then the one it replaced even when it was at its best.

IMHO

jjw
ND
The 180 VLDH still grouped around an inch, at 2900+ fps at 100 yds. Didn't test past that, new un-fired WIN 7STW brass and obvious chamber issue didn't play well.

It still shoots awesome for 5 shots, then it's a shotgun. I'v lost count on the round count, but it's over 1K. Lots of load development (maybe too much), a lot of time on the 1000 yd range and everything that I killed with it is DRT. I didn't notice how bad it was until February when I had finally gotten around to do some testing with the 180 VLDH and the the lands where way out there! It was a great barrel.
I'm just gonna go with another Shilen with a 28 tube this time, but this is on hold for the moment, just acquired a late season doe pronghorn tag here in CO and my new 6.5x284 Norma rebarreled 110 needs some love!
You can't fix what ain't broke. I don't see any fire cracking there so if anything clean the snot out of it and have a smith look at it with the idea of just setting it back a few turns and rechambering it.

With over 20 years invested in load development, equipment, brass etc I'd stay with what works.

You can't fix what ain't broke. I don't see any fire cracking there so if anything clean the snot out of it and have a smith look at it with the idea of just setting it back a few turns and rechambering it.

With over 20 years invested in load development, equipment, brass etc I'd stay with what works.
Swapped in a 28 Nosler barrel. Maybe I'l to fireform/sight in/break in this weekend...

Got a scope to look in my chamber/barrel today and it ain't good, but it was fun for long time! My Savage 110 was built in the early 1990's and chambered in 7 STW, with a 27 Shilen. Not sure which way I'l go with it, I have a lot of equipment invested into this cartridge, but I'm thinking 28 Nosler, and the extra long magazine won't hurt?!
I know this thread is old, but stick with her. It's truly the baddest 7mm out there. You can put more powder in, but the STW, has more class.
Just plain badass.

I know this thread is old, but stick with her. It's truly the baddest 7mm out there. You can put more powder in, but the STW, has more class.
Just plain badass.
All good and the journey was great. I have 20+ years worth of data and dedicated 7STW equipment and all thing shot were DRT every time, but I'v moved on to the 28 Nosler, which is it's ballistic twin without the belt, with one inch less of barrel, which I always had wanted. I'l build another 7STW rifle after a while, for now I'm all in on the 28 Nosler!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts