I have a 308 Krieger barrel...

mustanggt

It is a 1-11" twist and stainless. I would like to put together a precision rifle for myself. Is a Remington stainless the way to go or are there other receivers recommended? I would also like a reputable smith mate this barrel with a receiver. How about bottom metal, detachable box magazine and any other things that I would need to get. Thanks in advance.

Unless you want to spend an arm and a leg on a custom action, go with a Remington 700 action.

If you already have an rem 700 donor action then stick with that. If you need to get an action, I would recommend stiller. Rem 700 foot print but still a custom action for about $750 or so.

I'm fine with the Remington for sure. Is there anyone who would be recommended to deal with as far as buying the action from and/or mating action to barrel? Stiller? I will research.

I'm fine with the Remington for sure. Is there anyone who would be recommended to deal with as far as buying the action from and/or mating action to barrel? Stiller? I will research.

You can't just buy an action, unless you have an FFL. You would ve better off and cheaper to go buy a 700 SPS and use the action, bottom metal, and internal magazine setup, becUse the BDL conversion kits are about $150 by themselves, and a new bare 700 action is about $550, plus your FFL transfer fees, plus shipping, etc...

Might as well just go buy an SPS and sell the new factory stock, trigger, & barrel for about $100 and recoup some money for your build. Keep the action & magazine setup (bottom metal, mag box, spring, and follower), and those are 2 big components needed for your build.

I have an FFL already. I am aware that the part with the serial number on it is the gun. Thanks for the help.

For work there are all kinds of builders. SMR, Southern precision rifles, Len's long range hunting rifles (forum creator). Just got to research the sponsors on the site. If you don't already have a rem action it's easier to get a custom one then it is to sup up a rem 700. I am not knocking the 700 since my current build it on a 700 Long Action but I had a 7 mag just laying around.

I'm looking around right now for a donor. SPS rifles seem to be inexpensive.
I got the Krieger barrel from an old salt Marine who served in Vietnam and worked for a big oil company traveling around the world to many hotspots in the middle east. We met at a service rifle match in which I was a rookie with my M14. He was very gruff and crusty but I've learned not to let all that bother me as the older folk have a lot of experience and much to offer to the rest of us. He was good enough to trade me this barrel, which is used, for 100 Sierra 175gr match kings. I didn't need the barrel at the time not knowing what to do with it.

I've had a few precision rifles put together and gone through several barrels. You state that you want to build a precision rifle. For what purpose? Range use only, show off to your friends, compete with, varmint hunting, big game hunting, or what? The purpose will drive many of your choices.

I currently have a few factory actions that have been trued up and also have a some "custom" actions. I've used both types for hunting big game, varmints, and precision rifle competitions. If you want the best shooting, most reliable, I'd highly suggest you look into a "custom" action from Surgeon, Defiance, Stiller, Big Horn, or any number of other action manufacturers as opposed to having a Remington reworked. The immediate results may not be apparent but there is a reason the top competitors in precision rifle don't rely on a reworked Remington. I had to rely on one of my other rifles for the 2013 Precision Rifle Series finale which happened to be a Remington M700. The rifle shoots good but I had some problems that I hadn't had the entire year with my Surgeon action. Run your gear hard enough and you'll notice a difference.

This is just one guys opinion, so take it or leave it. Yes, the Remingtons can be just as accurate. There is more to a precision rifle than accuracy alone however.

Geb

I want to go out into the hills and shoot long range for my own enjoyment and compete here and there. I usually shoot by myself so no one to show off to. :D I would like to have the work done I am not capable of (joining receiver and barrel, truing the action etc.) and have a project I can complete myself. I've done some bedding work and other stock work so am not totally a neophyte where that is concerned. Would getting an action from Stiller or another maker be a better way to go than seeking a donor Remington complete rifle? I'm starting down a new road where I don't have any experience and would like to do it right from the get go. Thank you.

Yes definitely a stiller, Borden, surgeon, defiance, etc...would put you on the right track. Nothing wrong with rem actions just a lot of work to get them going. The money invested would be about the same for a custom once everything is said and done.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.