I blame you Len Backus

Looking at the internet for 7prc every few minutes. Should I go with 6.8 western? 300wm? PRC? 7RM? WSM? 28 Nosler? Who'd have thought it would be so stressful.

280 Ackley and be done

The choices on what components for the rifle or who to build it, good luck, way too many quality components and way too many very skilled gunsmith frequent this establishment, you'd have a hard time finding a bad one in the lot here

Welcome to the club. The first part is admitting you have a problem. Now you can start to treat the disease. WARNING, treatment is exspensive and requires alot of time, patience, and focus. Main side affect of treatment is addiction to more treatment.
....treatment is available, but no cure has been found.

I gravitate toward the prc because of the popularity and availability of factory ammo. My life is consumed by work and kids. When I get to reloading shotshells I'll work on 500-1000 rounds and won't revisit the bench for some time. For rifle shooting I have a hard time doing too much because I am afraid of the availability down the road when I run low. Cause you never know what it'll be like. I know a few of the newer or upcoming cartridges are harder to find now but once established figured it would get better. Reloading would be great for better, more consistent loads but would also want the factory option if necessary.

I definitely looked at the 280 ia and have been looking at rcbs reloading equipment. I have a prodeal with them and also see some sales locally. We have a decent selection of outdoor stores in Reno.

Welcome and good luck. Breath, take it slow, research, then buy once and cry once. Your '06 is very capable especially with the selection of modern bullets, no rush.

Lots of good practical reasons to consider a .280AI or 7PRC (assuming reloading components become available)...

The only piece of reloading equipment I have not considered upgrading is the Rock Chucker press. I may buy another press at some point, but doubt the RC will ever leave the bench. I paid twice the price on my last set of dies than what I paid for the RC.
The 7PRC is getting a great deal of press now. it should be a fine cartridge, but I fall into the wait and see category. Good luck with your journey and keep us posted.

I know this may be the wrong time tode hear this, but it needs to be said ,I think most everyone that has gotten into reloading has experienced (buy once cry once) don't waste money on cheap stuff that you will upgrade later!
I bought all top grade components but I sourced them all second hand and saved probably 75% off the cost new.

If only buying one it needs to be one of the 30's.
I am not disagreeing. I am just curious. Why? I've noticed that when the question comes up if you only could have one rifle … The consensus here seems to be 300 WinMag.
If you only have one, what would be wrong with one of the 338 cartridges? There is a guy on here who screen name is basically 340 Weatherby. He has a tag line that says: bringing enough gun. 340 Weatherby is enough gun. Why not a 338 cartridge?
375 Ruger is a 30-06 length cartridge. If you're only going to have one, what would be wrong with 375 Ruger?
I mean no offense to anyone. I'm just trying to understand.

I am not disagreeing. I am just curious. Why? I've noticed that when the question comes up if you only could have one rifle … The consensus here seems to be 300 WinMag.
If you only have one, what would be wrong with one of the 338 cartridges? There is a guy on here who screen name is basically 340 Weatherby. He has a tag line that says: bringing enough gun. 340 Weatherby is enough gun. Why not a 338 cartridge?
375 Ruger is a 30-06 length cartridge. If you're only going to have one, what would be wrong with 375 Ruger?
I mean no offense to anyone. I'm just trying to understand.
Because that's my opinion and from a affordability standpoint usually a 30 cal will be easier to find components for and will take any animal in North America. My choice would be one of the Big 30's if was to have only one. That's a different thread though and I don't want to derail the OPs thread. 300PRC or a 300RUM would be my choice if was to have only one LR rifle.

Last edited:
Cool. Thank you very much for explaining your opinion. I appreciate it. I certainly understand the cost and availability of components issue. You made an excellent point. So, thanks again.

It would all depend on how far you intend to shoot! I started with a pair of 7mm300wby,s killed many a deer from 7-1200 yds, but then I wanted to go longer??? It is a sickness! I now have a 338-378 wby, and a 338 408Baer , At this point I and most of my older friends cant walk up the hills much anymore, But I still have all the things to do it. Maybe a kid will come along that wants to try it. Had a great run of 55 years! Enjoy it wile you can!

man in costume holds red and blue pills