I blame you Len Backus

I have two shotshell presses and have always been interested in getting into reloading brass but I'm not sure I'd get my wife to allow me to spend the money for components. Probably a poor time to start since reloading supplies sound pretty thin still. I do like the idea of it though, better quality than factory loads and can stock up on supplies when available so when the shelves are bare you can keep shooting. We'll see I guess. Recommendations on getting started just incase I decide to slowly piece together the needed equipment?
New wife????

My buddy wanted to get into reloading and I didn't want to so he went ahead and got the basics. I reloaded some .308 with his equipment and of course I got 1/2 MOA groups on my first try. I still knew it was a bad idea but I went down the rabbit hole.

I always give a long list of reasons why you shouldn't get into reloading if asked about it.

First off I'd like to say thank you for having me, so far I've enjoyed the content. But I can't continue without bringing up the elephant in the room though. You all knew this was a trap and no one said anything. Now I obsess every minute of everyday. Now I'm looking to sell a few guns I don't use anymore, my chainsaw and more so I can afford to purchase a better rifle for long range hunting. I currently have a x bolt 30 06 and a cheapo savage axis 6.5cm. Looking at the internet for 7prc every few minutes. Should I go with 6.8 western? 300wm? PRC? 7RM? WSM? 28 Nosler? Who'd have thought it would be so stressful.
As a professional investment advisor: If you ever plan to retire, RUN! If you don't, Welcome.

Buy a good reloading press, there are many out there so do your homework, but get a good one so you don't have to upgrade later. Dies are dies imho, but there are specialty dies that do make a difference. If you go with a belted magnum round may I suggest you look into buying Redding competition shell holders, I wished I'd done that a long time ago-there may be other brands out there so look around but I know Redding has them.
Are you going to hunt with the rounds you load or shoot long distance, it does make a difference what you need to buy so let the group know what you plan on doing so they can help direct you in the direction you need to go to save you time and money in the long run.
The trip is fun and frustrating, but it is rewarding when it all comes together and it does and you'll wonder why you haven't been doing this long before now.
My 2 cents anyway. Have fun, jump in with both feet, but only chin deep.

I've always been a shooter, hunted in my teens and early 20s. The last 8 years I've been upland bird hunting, shooting trap and reloading shotshells. 4 years ago my son showed interest in big game hunting so I bought him the 6.5CM and myself the 06. Both of us drew mule deer tags and brought home two bucks and I had a great bull elk tag that because of my short range set up I came home empty handed. Lesson learned, I could have shot a bull just under 500 yards If my rifle/scope was set up for shooting that distance. That's what has me wanting a flatter shooting caliber and more time at the range

I've always been a shooter, hunted in my teens and early 20s. The last 8 years I've been upland bird hunting, shooting trap and reloading shotshells. 4 years ago my son showed interest in big game hunting so I bought him the 6.5CM and myself the 06. Both of us drew mule deer tags and brought home two bucks and I had a great bull elk tag that because of my short range set up I came home empty handed. Lesson learned, I could have shot a bull just under 500 yards If my rifle/scope was set up for shooting that distance. That's what has me wanting a flatter shooting caliber and more time at the range
The 06 can do that with the proper bullet, Hammer, a nice scope, and some practice once you get your reloading set up. Until then get a good scope, enough bullets from the same lot numbers, and somewhere you can shoot out to 5-600 yds and practice and then practice some more. Start out on a bench and then move to the real-world type shooting positions you'd face hunting and then shoot some more. That takes a lot of bullets to do it right so if you have a good round that shoots in your gun now get some more with the same lot number.

Welcome aboard. Everything thing about this game is addictive. I would suggest if your strictly wanting to hunt and say distances out to 600yds. Buy a quality rifle and great optics, find some quality ammo that shoots sub moa or better in your rifle and spend some time at the range. Then you can ease into reloading. Try to make buddies with someone that already loads if they shoot longrange already it will be a big help.

Your 06 is capable of that range.

First off I'd like to say thank you for having me, so far I've enjoyed the content. But I can't continue without bringing up the elephant in the room though. You all knew this was a trap and no one said anything. Now I obsess every minute of everyday. Now I'm looking to sell a few guns I don't use anymore, my chainsaw and more so I can afford to purchase a better rifle for long range hunting. I currently have a x bolt 30 06 and a cheapo savage axis 6.5cm. Looking at the internet for 7prc every few minutes. Should I go with 6.8 western? 300wm? PRC? 7RM? WSM? 28 Nosler? Who'd have thought it would be so stressful.
I vote remington sendero 7mm STW😁

I have been reloading for almost 25 yrs, and have learned that if you want, you can shoot distance w/ plenty of cartridges. A few of my favorites, 257 Rob, 6.5x55, and the newest member to the safe, is the 358 Norma Mag. I can say that I would be comfortable shooting at game with it out to 600+ yards. And as a previous post said don't waste money on cheap stuff you will have to upgrade later.

Recent Posts