Things you wished you knew when you started?

The Savage 112 338 LM comes from the factory with a muzzle break that I am told is very good. My concern with it is that they say it will clear everyone around you away because of the noise. So now i need to get ear muffs and wondering if 34db is enough.

568FB7D2-1AEA-48E7-90A0-088B2942CE0F.jpeg
The Savage 112 338 LM comes from the factory with a muzzle break that I am told is very good. My concern with it is that they say it will clear everyone around you away because of the noise. So now i need to get ear muffs and wondering if 34db is enough.
I still double up with mine foam earplugs and then electronic muffs ATTACH=full]210788[/ATTACH]

They didn't supply us ear plugs in Vietnam either. I also was on an APC that drove over a land mine on my side. Next to 156mm cannon and even with the muzzle when it fire one night while we being attack. The guy next to me blow both his eardrum out. Bleeding from his ears on both sides. I was the medic that attend to him after that. I just wear ear plugs now.

The factory Savage brake is great; my Savage .338 Lapua is my absolute most favorite gun to shoot, always puts a smile on my face :) She is a boomer for sure! But for me it's part of what makes it fun. Just practice good form every time you squeeze the trigger on it and you'll do great. Which is one of the things I wish I had known when I started: good form!

1. Waay back in the '80's:
    1. How to shoot
    2. How to find someone who could teach me how to shoot
    3. Picking the right wife (I'm sure she says the same).
  2. Now:
    1. Organizing time to maximize my shooting (still learning that one)
Every other lesson has been pure gold, wouldn't change it. Lessons/knowledge comes at you all the time, but if you're not paying attention, not ready or not knowledgeable enough, you'll miss them until they come around again. When you "get it," they stick. Some of the most basics: consistent cheek weld, mastering sight picture, trigger finger position, muscle timing with heartbeat/breathing, reading the wind.

On brass spring back, I move the press arm very deliberately, no need to hesitate at the top, the flow has already happened by the time I get there and the resulting "spring" is unavoidable.
On bag vs fist vs cradle, etc, the POI doesn't shift, how you hold it does and affects POI. On the line, if you see a guy with a rifle in a cradle, on bags, or prone, shooting a RH rifle LH, with the sling wrapped around his RH, holding the fore end like he's off hand in the field, that's me. Might look funny or uncomfortable, but if I'm doing my job, POI is darned close to POA.

Last edited:
Want to know how good the brake is, shoot the rifle with it on then remove it and shoot. Once is all you'd need if you do everything the same, maybe all you'd want anyways.😳 Their brake is ok, there are much better out there if you decide you want a little more recoil reduction.

I would go back and shoot more 1000 matches with a 77 grain SMK from a 223 Rem. Nothing teaches you how to shoot in the wind like getting your butt kicked. That's how you turn 8s into Xs

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.