Things you wished you knew when you started?

This is solid stuff. Thanks. I REALLY like simple. I read recently that Einstein once said "Everything should be as simple as possible, but not simpler." Still trying to figure out how it can be simpler than possible ……....

Remember, just because the desired action is SIMPLE, does not mean it is EASY.

Last edited:
I mostly agree. I do things a little different. I use several different rifles over the years. One thing I do is the velocity are all about the same, so bullet flight is about the same. That way I don't have to re-think the path the bullet is going. It's not totally on, but close. I read about shooting different rifles a great many years ago, and the problems that happen with slow to fast rounds. Trying to remember what that bullet or rifle is doing. Now I generally develop only one bullet for each rifle, with their fps is around 3250, except for my 220 swift that I run at about 3900 fps. Three things has to be for me. Accurate, velocity, and bullet does the job, and doesn't destroy the meat.

1. Choose the best Bolt Action Rifle/Caliber for the hunting application you will be doing mostly . Consider the game you will hunt each year , the range and the terrain, not just the rifle you can afford when you 18 or 19 years old . If it means saving up an extra year or two or three, do it. If , and when ,you need a big Magnum for Brown Bear on Kodiak Island, or the Cape Buffalo you would love to take, then that's another rifle.
2. Most modern Bolt Action Rifle's are made with suitable accuracy for hunting application, ( 1 1/2 " to 1 inch Groups are common ) but most can be enhanced by having the best Gunsmith you can find Bed the action ; do a trigger job and perhaps recrown the barrel. Consider having those things done, if you feel its needed.
3. Buy the best Scope , Rings and Bases you can afford.
4. Learn to hand load from Bench Rest Shooters . You can lean a lot by asking questions , and really listening to the answers. Scrounging up discarded cases at the range, and buying the cheapest bullets you can find , usually does not lead to accurate ,enjoyable shooting.
5. Go to the range as much as you can and Shoot, and date and save your targets , and shoot some more. Get really Good with your Rifles. Go to the range when its cold; go to the range when its raining ; Go to the range alone and really focus on your shooting skills and groups. Keep careful notes of all your handloads, or factory loads.
6. Remember , its a hobby. Have Fun with it.

That half of the fun. I think that once you join this group, it help you to spend. I have learn a lot over the years. I have applied application being put forth in these posting that I wasn't using already. Backed up things I was doing or learn to do on my own working on hand loads. So read a lot and learn, Don't spend until you are sure what you are getting will the job.

I think it is wishing I knew how much I DID NOT know! Before I started down the rabbit hole (again) I figured the main issue with any shooting an/or reloading was going to be the operator - ME! I decided I would restart by taking a Ruger 10/22 and attend several Project Appleseed events to make sure I actually had the basics of shooting down FIRST! I also found "competing in .22 Sporter and Palma matches REALLY sharpened things up on the shooting end (inexpensively I might add). Then I took a couple of FORMAL reloading classes, including one on Precision reloading. I have to admit that also being in the company of several former US Air Rifle Team members has also benefitted me a lot.

I had one just recently. I was chasing my tail in a circle. One day the rifle would group, the next it wouldn't.
The ejector is a pain to remove from my bolt, so I guesstimated jam, rather than getting a CBTO Comparator. Out of frustration I finally got a comparator, and found out that my "feel" less .020" was still jamming the lands, hard. 0.030" hard...

In short, the $30 tool would have saved me multiple trips to the range, and about 70 rounds fired... more importantly though, my time.
Don't guesstimate.

Keep the money in your pocket longer......😁....once you start..it goes and goes and goes.....

Sometimes having to save for a while to get a new rifle has kept me from buying the wrong rifle. By the time I've got the cash for the new one, it has often ended up being something different than what I would have bought a year or two prior. Maybe something that better suits my needs comes by, or maybe I used the time to re-think what my needs really are. This has saved me $$$$ and troubles over the years.

1. Optics - Bite the bullet and buy top tier
2. Cartridge - Pick the right one that is suitable to you and your abilities/time
3. Practice, practice, practice (weird positions, stress fire, breathing, trigger control, sight picture, dialing, bolt manipulation, wind reading, etc.)
4. Find a good mentor and listen

I answered much earlier in thread but have a couple that I would also apply....I would buy the equipment (press - sizing and seating dies - tools to check my progress) that would produce the straightest most concentric ammo right off instead of selling off and upgrading thru a slow process to where I would eventually end up. Same story with brass cleaning, sold a lot of stuff I didn't need to buy.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.