I blame you Len Backus

"Should I go with 6.8 western? 300wm? PRC? 7RM? WSM? 28"
Short answer ....Yes. The older I get the more I like spending my time at the benches; reloading and range. I don't enjoy getting kicked like by a mule. I bought the tools to twist off a great shooting tikka 300WSM barrel and twist on a eBay 270WSM. Shoots great and enjoyable range sessions. Since then I have picked up a few Rem783s to do barrel swapping with. I would not hesitate to invest in gear and load up some specific applications for things you would like to do with your '06 and creed. Have fun.

Welcome from Saskatchewan.

Yeah this place helps me with my gun problem too…as in encourages and enables it!!! Quite a rabbit hole to fall into…good to have some like minded folks falling down it with you! 😁

Rifles are one thing, handloading is quite another. Everytime some young guy (and I'm only 31, but i said what I said! Guys my age and even older with no experience with loading count in this demographic) wants to pick my brain about getting into handloading a few things always end Up being asked or said.

They ask "is it worth doing?" To which i always say for me yes it is, it's so satisfying to me.

Then they ask "so like how much money could I save rolling my own"

I then calmly say, "if your main goal is to save money, do not walk but RUN as fast as you can away from this hobby right now!"

🤣

I have regrets for just about every gun I've parted with ....

but ... tell me about that chain saw? I could use another one :)
You're too far away but it's a 460
Big "30"? Yep. 30.06 and Up. 300 WM is a Plus. Brass is fairly easy to find. There are a number of powders that work fine (long range, hunting) and a Great range of bullets to pick from! Can use both the LR & LRM Primers. Can find used brass (Military), or Range brass from many of the indoor ranges, even outdoor ones! Many do NOT PICK UP THERE BRASS! Something "You" will start to do!
E-bay, yard sales, pondshops!
bottom line, your going to LOVE IT, and HATE IT at the SAME-TIME!
I hate the way most undeveloped shooting ranges look full of garbage so I've always picked up my own brass.
IMO the 06 will do far more than most realize. Maximize your magazine COAL, Hammer bullets like the 166HH or the 180HH with some of the newer powders will surprise on elevated performance. Example: son's 700ADL with 22" stock barrel hit 2900 with 180HH so the the 06 has hidden potential. Just need to find it. My next build will be 06 with added freebore to accommodate the newer heavier higher BC bullets. What's old becomes new again! Brass, powder, LR primers and bullets are there for the grab. Another good reason!!
Maybe we should chat, or anyone who can give insight on loading the 06 with newer heavier higher BC bullets.
I would go with the faster 30 cals . Once you get over a 30 cal recoil goes up . For a lot of people they are better off going to a lighter recoil caliber for better accuracy and they can shoot way more and not be sore
Like which ones?

Welcome from Saskatchewan.
😁

They ask "is it worth doing?" To which i always say for me yes it is, it's so satisfying to me.

Then they ask "so like how much money could I save rolling my own"

I then calmly say, "if your main goal is to save money, do not walk but RUN as fast as you can away from this hobby right now!"

🤣
I get it totally, I tie flies, build my own rods, I reload shotshells, refurbished old guns, and built my AR piece by piece no kits. I have the mentality for tinkering.

First off I'd like to say thank you for having me, so far I've enjoyed the content. But I can't continue without bringing up the elephant in the room though. You all knew this was a trap and no one said anything. Now I obsess every minute of everyday. Now I'm looking to sell a few guns I don't use anymore, my chainsaw and more so I can afford to purchase a better rifle for long range hunting. I currently have a x bolt 30 06 and a cheapo savage axis 6.5cm. Looking at the internet for 7prc every few minutes. Should I go with 6.8 western? 300wm? PRC? 7RM? WSM? 28 Nosler? Who'd have thought it would be so stressful.
Let the games begin.

I get it totally, I tie flies, build my own rods, I reload shotshells, refurbished old guns, and built my AR piece by piece no kits. I have the mentality for tinkering.
Oh gosh you're into fishing. You understand futility and the merits of wasting money! Hey @Muddyboots , this guy gets it 🤣🤣🤣🤣

A line from a song about fishing by "The Arrogant Worms"

🎵 I fish in the lake
By the sunken tree stump
Between the sewage output
And the chemical dump

Don't swim in the lake
Says a sign on a tree:
It's a good thing that fish can't read!

I've got my 10 dollar lure
The one that floats
And I take a big cast from my 20 grand boat
With my thousand dollar rod
Or maybe it's more
GONNA CATCH ME A FISH THATS FIVE BUCKS AT THE STORE! 🎵

There's nothing wrong with the X bolt from what I've heard. The '06 is plenty capable. You start buying factory rifles you never know how good they'll be unless semi-custom.

Then you spend all your money on a new rifle, and scrimp on reloading stuff.

Find brass, primers, and powder before you buy the reloading stuff though.
That is good advice. I always buy ammo or the reloading supplies I need for a specific caliber before I actually purchase the gun that way I know that I am good to go and never frustrated trying to locate ammo after I pull the trigger on a new firearm. Plus it is good justification for actually buying a new gun. I'm kind of old school I guess and don't buy guns that I can't find ammo or components for, luckily I have a few components already ;).

There are some hazards that may occur from time to time no matter how thoughtful and careful we think we are.........
499F3AB0-896A-4D6D-BDEC-DA2C1D537FEF.png

It is definitely addictive. But what a great thing to be addicted to. There is no more satisfaction than shooting an animal or a long range target with a cartridge you loaded yourself, a shooting system you built (or put together) yourself, and learned so much in the process. This is a great place to learn unlimited information from.

I started loading / reloading in 1977, shot some benchrest and lots of handgun rounds, used the most simple equipment (Lee Benchrest loader with a mallet and scoops which produced 1/4 inch groups in my 788 22-250) to RCBS Rockchucker and carbide dies to weighing each case for water weight, neck sizing and on and on. My advice to a beginning loader is to buy good equipment to start with, you'll save money in the long run and try to find an experienced loader in your area that will tutor you through a few sessions, that will be a huge boost to your confidence when you take your first lot of handloads to the range and leave with a big smile. Remember that it all is a process and takes time, explain to your wife that you need to focus on what your doing, mistakes from distractions can have dire consequences. Distinguish between hunting accuracy and bench accuracy, your Browning 30-06 is all the gun you will ever need in North America, learn the gun and what it likes, shoot that configuration at varying ranges and conditions until you don't have to think too much, practice where you hunt if you can. If you want to embrace the discipline of tiny groups, buy a good used match rifle or build one, Savage model 12 benchrest rifles (well under $2k and several around $1k) will often shoot amazingly tight groups for very little money as compared to a custom rifle build. They're blueprinted at the factory and all you need is good glass, good ammo and a good rest plus a lot of practice with a coach to keep you breathing properly, relaxed and making those tiny adjustments that matter. It can be overwhelming at first, but like everything else, everyone doing it today started where you are.

Every time my wife complains about what I spend on reloading equipment, components and guns, I remind her I could be in a bar chasing women. Then she reminds me they wouldn't have me, lol.

Think about it guys, I hear all the time how expensive this hobby is. I know guys with 50K tied up in a Harley, one buddy has a $350,000 boat sitting in the harbor that gets used 4 or 5 times a year. Look at what people are spending on these hot rod side by sides, ouch!

Want to go down the rabbit hole, get into custom cars, hot rods, and god help you if you decide to build a race car.

Personally, I think reloading and shooting is a relatively inexpensive hobby compared to others.

Our guns are investments for the most part, most of the guns I have could be sold for close to or more than I paid for them.

Enjoy the hobby, and don't look back. For me, being in my reloading room is one of the most relaxing things I do.

Merry Christmas to all.

Randy

Last edited: