I’m Making The Switch

A stock for my SavLA has been a challenge. One of the premier name stock mfg's won't even make a stock for them because they don't like where the rear action screw is (stock strength issue according to them).

I read somewhere on here that a former emplyee of McMillan has a shop and will inlet a blank for you, but you spend crazy $$$ to do it.

Really, it's what they told me on the phone when I called to ask. They had a stock shape that I really wanted for this project, and I wasn't finding it anywhere else. I can sort of see their point since it's a hole in the middle of a small section of the stock, but other stock makers seem to be able to make stocks that work and live.

Just put a 26" Criterion MTU on a 10 action. Load work is in the first stages but cheap factory Hornady 140gr hpbt shot great from 100 to 1000. It is in a Stealth stock. The action and trigger polished with extended bolt handle. The load will be 140 ELD or maybe 147 ELD whichever seems more promising.

My good man, there is no need to 'switch' just add more Savage to the mix.
Correct! I'm a man on a budget. It's fun to fantasize about pricy rifles and custom builds but if I'm telling the truth when the day comes that I have more discretionary spending money I'll probably just do more savage builds and own more Weatherby vanguards and odd old beaters of the kind not made anymore from auction sales.

My one exception: at some point in my life I want to buy a new weatherby mark 5

I'm a mostly R700 user but I do have a number of Savage rifles/actions that I have built on. Absolutely no complaints on the Savage stuff. I compare them to ARs as far as being able to swap out parts and make a good shooting platform. I like being able to swap bolt heads for different calibers. I have a couple bone stock Savages that shoot absolutely lights out. A few short years ago Cabela's carried the 12FV in multiple calibers and would put them on sale for $299 while Savage would have a $100 rebate at the same time, making for some amazingly priced donor actions(as well as superb shooting rifles) although the stocks were plastic garbage. I run H-S Precision stocks on most of my Savages with the exception of the 10T I have in 6.5 CM that has the factory Accu-stock with aluminum bedding block that shoots incredibly well. The 224 Valkyrie that I built on a 12FV 223 Rem action is a favorite of mine to shoot. It was a simple matter to open up the 223 bolt face to accept the Valkyrie case size. Savages are really great DIY platforms with very minimal tool investment for the home rifle builder. The floating bolt heads are a big contributor to the accuracy of these rifles because no lapping is needed. I have another 12FV in 223 Rem that has shot in the 0.1s since i bought it. The only mod is that it sits in an H-S PST114 stock. The barrel looks like 5 miles of bad road when you look at it with a borescope, but the proof is in the grouping. Good luck in your Savage endeavors!

My Savage 224 Valkyrie 3.jpg
My Savage 224 Valkyrie 2.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts