I’m Making The Switch

Post your satisfaction (or dissatisfaction) after your experience with savage over all. I started out with savage as my platform action simply due to the floating bolt head and ease of tuning and accuracy results. What I found out was accuracy was excellent. Headspacing especially when building an AI cartridge was tricky to get ignition. Headspacing was very tricky( for mine). Turned out to be a somewhat of a micro adjustment issue in headspacing. My biggest struggle with savage actions was finding stocks. Just not many options compared to the Remington footprint. Triggers is another very big issue. Sure Timney and rifle basic are out there but nothing compared to TriggerTech, Shilen, Jewell or some of the other better triggers for Remington's. Good luck with your new found choice and I hope you find more options on both those areas I struck out on.
I will post my thoughts

Bean,
You opened a rather cool can of interesting Savage options. I'm tagged in hard hoping some new companies are offering better stock, trigger and component options today. FYI...PT&G offers nice bolt heads. I do like the newer offering in barrel nuts. Some real attractive ones compared to the savage OEM
VLD, it's what I do ;) I'll tell you guys a stock that I personally love and is readily available is the Houge with the aluminum bedding block, I have had a bunch of them, best feeling stock I have held and another one that I just Hot is yhe Choate, I was really surprised at the quality for the price

So, apologies for thread derailment.

If any of you all experience the dreadful feeding problem from the magazines where the cartridge binds up, I know how to fix it. Typically this problem goes like this:

As the bolt moves forward, it strips the round off the mag, and then 3/4 through chambering the case head gets caught up and then one has to pull the bolt back slightly for the cartridge to chamber. PITA!

The tick is to bevel the ejector towards the firing pin hole 25-30 degrees. The ejector can be punched out easily without any further disassembly of the bolt and dragged across a flat file laid on the bench. A few passes is all that's needed. It sounds to easy to be of value, but I have straightened out 3 Savages with this trick. I later came to learn Savage, in earlier years, had their ejectors beveled from the factory!

Pro tip - Use a silver sharpie or in Bean's case, some fingernail polish to mark the side of the ejector where the bevel will face the firing pin hole.

Last edited:
I'll tell you guys a stock that I personally love and is readily available is the Houge with the aluminum bedding block, I have had a bunch of them, best feeling stock I have held,
I have one on a Rem 700 SA. Decent stock at a low price point. Solid action / stock lock up with bedding block but that dang rubber coated stock always seems to hang up on my clothing when shouldering it. I'll keep it but currently swapping it out for a stock I just bought on here this morning from a member.

Nice 8 twist?
My factory savage 270wsm in a bell &carlson is a shooter. 140 bergers at 3336fps usually DRTs the whitetail and hogs up close with a wicked thump.
IMG_4533.png

Speaking of Bravos...My first Savage based build, got it together last night:
View attachment 478964
View attachment 478965
Rugged Micro 30 in short config.
Outlier 16" 1:8, 7mm-08
Elf 110 SE Precision Rifle Trigger
KRG Bravo
Nice rifle. Would love to hear your thoughts on the Elf trigger after you have some time behind it.