Hunting with a muzzle brake, ear protection

I use the rubber ear plugs on a string. They go in quicker than the foam ones you have to squeeze.

As dumb as this sounds;
My reminder to put them in is I never load my gun until I'm ready to shoot. This way I don't snap shot at an animal I jump. The plugs are then a routine before the gun is loaded just like going to the range.

i usualy hunt my own property, and that's prone from a hill somewhere or in a tree stand. Either way i have time to put on muffs, in the winter, ill just keep em on (i use some relatively cheap electrical ones) since they're nice and warm. in the summer i put them on when i first spot game.

I'm still young and know a lot of older hunters who have hearing issues so im learning from their experiences.

I get the chance to wear hearing protection every day at work for my Personal Protective equipment. One thing about wearing the ear plugs people tend to talk louder when wearing them. Which isn't a problem if you hunt by yourself. Now most muzzle blasts(non braked also) are above 85decibels. This is when hearing damage starts to occur. So you should wear them all the time. I hate wearing hearing protection when hunting, but I have noticed the loss of hearing and figure I better start before it is to late.

I purchased a cheap(about $60) pair of noise cancelling ear plugs awhile back and found out they are worthless. I don't know if the more expensive ones are better I haven't found anyone who uses them. I am going the route of the suppressor/silencer. I think they are worth the time and effort.

Brent

We have several people here who make brakes. Has anybody considered making something like this for a hunting rifle?

DPMS : Levang Linear Compensator - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

I have one on my AR and really like it. While it naturally doesn't reduce recoil as much as other brakes do, it does reduce it a noticeable amount while actually reducing muzzle blast and noise a bit instead of increasing it.

It's a very simple design, somebody ought to be able to make them in .308 and .338 cal.

We have several people here who make brakes. Has anybody considered making something like this for a hunting rifle?

DPMS : Levang Linear Compensator - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

I have one on my AR and really like it. While it naturally doesn't reduce recoil as much as other brakes do, it does reduce it a noticeable amount while actually reducing muzzle blast and noise a bit instead of increasing it.

It's a very simple design, somebody ought to be able to make them in .308 and .338 cal.

Thanks for posting the link, quite a different design than what I'm use to seeing.

JonA.

This type of break does not reduce recoil very good but as you said it does reduce muzzle
blast and the noise because it has 7 holes for the gas to escape from instead of 1 slowing the gas velocity and the cone design directs sound away from the shooter (Much like the funnel
shaped muzzle) on most machine guns.

This works well on low recoiling rounds but on 300 and 338 mags it does not help recoil enough
to make it practical to install.

In most cases the more effective a brake is the louder it is, and vice versa.

The 223 does not have very much recoil and this Type brake helps in other areas.

The most effective brakes are the large ported side discharge brakes and also the loudest.

It would be a very simple brake to build but it would not tame a hard kicking 300+ rifle enough to help.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

I would love the ability to use a sound suppressor while hunting.
Until that joyous day comes, I wear one of several electronic hearing protectors when hunting with anything louder than an 18" barrelled .22LR.

Has anyone else tried the Sensgard Zem31?? ... odd but I find it works, even on the range. Just put it on and leave the right side resting in my ear until I need to put it in. My left ear sings constantly but at least with the zem does not hurt after shooting.
They're light but no good for cold ears.

whether hunting, or just shooting, I wear hearing protection period. whether I'm shooting my wife's 22LR or any one of my braked long guns. I use the battery operated ones with the cut out circuit when hunting. when target shooting I use the same ones with added foamies in my ears. call me strange but I like being able to hear.

I wish someone had told me to wear hearing protection 30 years ago! I have lost significant hearing from about 10 years of unprotected hunting. How stupid!!! It is a social handicap and only occasional blessing. I can't stress enough wearing hearing protection of some sort and kindly make sure all around are informed before firing. You can shoot another game animal, but you can never get that small percentage of your hearing back.

Last edited:
For long time, I'd bench shoot with plugs and hunt with nothing. As they say, you don't notice the noise that much when you're excited and are out in the open with sound-absorbing snow all around.

Recently sound-tested for my latest job, there's no significant loss of hearing at any decibel range.

However, I have to use some sort of PPE noise protection at work anyway so I bought some Peltor Tactical Pro's. Those are fantastic for amplification of 'good' sound way above what you would hear in the bush and they cut off all loud, sharp sounds. They do provide a little bit of directional sound too. It's a little freaky to hear the echo of your shots on the range but not the shots themselves.

The main problem is that they get in the way of cheek pieces, so I had to mill down one side a little and have to consciously nudge back one muff a bit with the stock when I bring the rifle up.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.