Hunting with a 50 BMG?

Discussion in 'Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)' started by 375rifleman, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

I’ll send a PM, so we don’t totally hijack this thread.

2. jfseaman

jfseaman Well-Known Member

3. mudygmc

mudygmc Active Member

I have used a 50 bmg on a whitetail. Extremely effective I'd say less than 2% meat loss. She was a 120lb doe facing me at 125yds. Shot her straight in the chest. Bullet came out about an inch below the #2 hole. Finger sized hole in and out. Bullet was a 750 amax that should have hit her near 2700fps. She did a complete backflip and layed there motionless. Only blood was an 8in puddle that came out of her nose and mouth. Meat was perfect no ruptured blood vessels in any of the meat. Inside the rib cage was different though. All the internals were mostly mush. Shock defiantly destroyed the soft tissue. I did find the aluminum tip of the amax inside the deer. I believe a broadside shot there would zero meat loss if shot behind the shoulder.

alcesgigas and jfseaman like this.
  4. TXAoudadKlr

TXAoudadKlr Well-Known Member

Keith Warren has two videos on his YouTube channel taking deer with a 50. Its not As bad as one thinks

alcesgigas likes this.
  5. Oregonian1

Oregonian1 Member

Sounds quite effective. Sounds like a bummer to pack around to hunt with even in a pack. What's the terrain like you're going to use it?

6. Mach 1

Mach 1 Well-Known Member

I have taken a deer with the 647 Barnes bullets a couple different times. Its kinda like anything else. If you make a poor shot you will ruin alot of meat but if you make a good heart lung area shot it doesn't seem to ruin much. Having said that my brother shot a doe with my 50, entry was at the base of the neck and the exit was in the hind end and it was the most disgusting vile think I'd ever helped clean. Its 90 percent shot placement.

HARPERC likes this.
  7. toddc

toddc Well-Known Member

A 338 300 SMK is worse than the 750 Amax in my experience. A 50 just seems to pencil. I even tried to make one blow and never got it to happen. Tried shoulder quartering to me and other angles and never got it done. I did get a shitload of dust in my eyes trying to do it.

8. Chesternutt

Chesternutt Member

This is a joke right? The .50BMG was made for airplanes, vehicles, buildings etc. Yes it's fun to shoot at paper but lets get real.