50 BMG bullet removal

I have several rounds of Lake City 2020 50 BMG ammo and want to pull the bullets and replace with another bullet. What is the easiest SAFEST way to pull the bullets? I dont like the idea of removing them by hammering them onto the bench with an "inertia puller" Maybe its safe and maybe not, but I dont like the idea of hammering a live 50 BMG round on a table
Are you going to pull them and throw them away....or do you want to reuse them at some point? I just use side cutters and my press if not keeping them. Set cutters on top of your press...run the bullet up and grip it...pull the handle up...pop right out

I want to save the bullets. I dont know why except that I am very frugal and hate to throw away anything. But I have found the solution.
I went online and on EBay I found a .500 collet for $9 and a screw hose clamp with a thumb screw on it for 33 cents so its easy to tighten. I placed the hose clamp around the collet and place it over the bullet and then tighten the thumb screw after putting the cartridge into the press and extending it up thru the top. Then lowering the cartridge will pull the bullet without damage.

Last edited:
I want to save the bullets. I dont know why except that I am very frugal and hate to throw away anything. But I have found the solution.
I went online and on EBay I found a .500 collet for $9 and a screw hose clamp with a thumb screw on it for 33 cents so its easy to tighten. I placed the hose clamp around the collet and place it over the bullet and then tighten the thumb screw after putting the cartridge into the press and extending it up thru the top. Then lowering the cartridge will pull the bullet without damage.
Redneck/Cowboy Engineering at it's finest. If you aren't an Aggie you should have been.... .! 🤣

Redneck/Cowboy Engineering at it's finest. If you aren't an Aggie you should have been.... .! 🤣
Please, please, dont call me an Aggie. I am a "Tea Sipper" with two degrees from UT and retired after 22 years with UT Austin. My office was even on the 23 rd floor of the clock tower, just below the clock. I AM NOT AN AGGIE....Hookem Horns!!

Please, please, dont call me an Aggie. I am a "Tea Sipper" with two degrees from UT and retired after 22 years with UT Austin. My office was even on the 23 rd floor of the clock tower, just below the clock. I AM NOT AN AGGIE....Hookem Horns!!
I knew I'd get you going one way or another with that one... 😁

It's ok, I went where you go when you're too dumb to be an Aggie, "Tarleton".