Hunting with a 50 BMG?

Keith Warren has two videos on his YouTube channel taking deer with a 50. Its not As bad as one thinks

Keith Warren is an idiot. In the one video he blabs about how the bullet didn't touch the deer, that it was the shockwave as it passed over the does nose. He shot it in the **** eye. Its simple physics if the bullet doesn't touch you it doesn't kill you. We all know that with hunting you die via two ways, Blood loss or a hit to the central nervous system. you can jump to 2:50 to see the shot and then his explanation.

Can you hunt with a .50 sure just as much as you can with a .22. The hunter should choose the appropriate tool for the task and distance.

I guess if you were Charles Atlas and could lug a tank up as mountain or had a 'lackey' to carry it, it would work but, for normal hunters, no way. Too **** heavy.

Keith Warren is an idiot. In the one video he blabs about how the bullet didn't touch the deer, that it was the shockwave as it passed over the does nose. He shot it in the **** eye. Its simple physics if the bullet doesn't touch you it doesn't kill you. We all know that with hunting you die via two ways, Blood loss or a hit to the central nervous system. you can jump to 2:50 to see the shot and then his explanation.

Can you hunt with a .50 sure just as much as you can with a .22. The hunter should choose the appropriate tool for the task and distance.

This world is full of idiots with a sprinkling of sane people that actually have some common sense. He obviously don't.

THANK YOU. I logged in just to comment on this and saw you beat me too it. Idiot spreading nonsense, its embarrassing that he's considered "knowledgeable" in firearms.

I wish the 50bmg shock wave myth would go away.

I never said he was the most knowledgeable just that he's done it and has videos to reference.

My only experience with this was hunting with my family when I was about 14. Uncle's buddy came out to hunt a big canyon with his .50. Shot an 80lb whitetail doe in the neck. Dropped her but she was alive. Didn't want to shoot her point blank, so hiked back to the truck to get my cousins 6mm and finish her off. Seemed like more trouble than it's worth.

I wish the 50bmg shock wave myth would go away.

I never said he was the most knowledgeable just that he's done it and has videos to reference.
Anyone can make a video. You Tube is loaded with them and most are questionable as his is. From the looks of him, he don;t look like he could carry that tank much farther than from his truck to his blind.

Not impressed at all.

I think you better run the Ballistic numbers again. The numbers per Berger's ballistic program are as follows:
6.5 140grain VLD Hunting @ 2700 FPS Figures at 1000YDS 5MPH wind
Drop 317.7"
Wind 35.9"
Energy 624 Foot Pounds
50BMG 750 Amax @ 2700 FPS Figures at 1000YDS 5MPH wind
Drop 252.0"
Wind 18.1"
Energy 6039 Foot Pounds

I think you better run the Ballistic numbers again. The numbers per Berger's ballistic program are as follows:
6.5 140grain VLD Hunting @ 2700 FPS Figures at 1000YDS 5MPH wind
Drop 317.7"
Wind 35.9"
Energy 624 Foot Pounds
50BMG 750 Amax @ 2700 FPS Figures at 1000YDS 5MPH wind
Drop 252.0"
Wind 18.1"
Energy 6039 Foot Pounds
Of course you know he was joking right?

Hard to tell. Some people would buy into it if they didn't know better. I didn't want anyone to be misled.

I cannot imagine anyone carrying a 50 BMG hunting, those suckers weigh waht between 25 and 30lbs?? I have a .45-120 Sharps rifle, it has a 34 in heavy barrel the rifle weighs 15lbs. I carried it deer hunting, you walk 100yds and the rifle will begin to weigh you down, I did not rig up a sling, but just letting the barrel rest on your shoulder while walking would eat into you after a while. I finally got to shoot a nice 8 point buck at 100yds, it had a .45 caliber entrance hole and about a .470 in hole coming out, went through both shoulders no meat loss busted both lungs and he ran 50yds and dropped. After I finally got one with the rifle it went back to the safe and only used for target shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.