Hunting with a .308

I also reside in the politically backwards state of New York. Your old .308 is absolutely perfect for what you are doing! If you're shooting factory the Hornady American Whitetail ammo is worth a try.

In GA where I do most of my hunting, the 308 win is probably the most popular cartridge. A lot of those who use it put it in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" category and will hunt with it for life.

I like the 180gr something boolitz in our area since we go after Elk and Moose,,, then predator control in the off season.

I like my 30/06,,, but I like my 308 more,,, there both neck and neck in my hunting needs.

Lots of F Class shooting sports again this year.

Good old 308 fits in most every where.
I have a browning lever action 308 I use for deer and black bear out to 300 yards and a 7mm stw for those big cotton and soy bean felds. love them both

I've had good success with 178 ELD-X's,,, and 180grain'ers Speer Game King's.

I find that they hold a small fraction more Punch-Junk down range and a fraction more flight path to target... Of course most of my harvests have taken place with in the 140 ish yard range... Lots of Pa-Pack on furry critters at those distances... I'm sure they can perform well past my shooting skills in the field.

I use 168gr full metal jackets for predator control that allow me to reach out there with a bit less recoil.

I started off with the ELD-M's for F Class shooting,,, but the 185 Juggernauts quickly fill in on that gap...

I'm Varget powder across the board for all those bullets,,, 45.5 of charge for the 165/68 boolitz,,, 43.5 for the 180gr boolitz,,, its much cooler temps up here in the North,,, so running hot loads seems to work in the fall and winter...

I drop the .5gr off in the hot summer months.

The good 308 is frugal on powder,,, easy to throw what ever at it,,, and Lapua Palma Brass is fairly affordable up here in our neck of the woods,,, plus it offers out standing constancy along with longevity...

What's not to like about the old school cartridge or any of them that we end up owning.

Good times for those that get at it fore sure.

I use the 308 with 150s, and prefer RN bullets, as plenty flat for up to 300 yds, but last time, when in Africa with it a few years ago (god grandson used it), used the 130gr Ttsx bullets, and they killed like lightening. Handloaded to 2900+, kind of a short fat 270. On one animal that was wounded (not the kids fault, guide had him use HIS rifle, which wasn't sighted in right), the Wildebeeste stopped 200 yds away, facing away from us, looking back over it's shoulder. Bullet hit it in the right hip and was found in the left shoulder. DRT. Here in the east, a 125=150 yd shot is long (80% of shots closer), and the 150s work great. a 180, even in the 06, is too heavy for deer, and won't open right. We used a Winchester 88 to hunt with and great rifle, deadly accurate.

Your distance is perfect for a deer in cold temps, they tend to be big bodied for heat conservation.

I would make sure any fouling is out of the barrel if the old gun is well used. When I buy a used gun, I usually give I a good soak, chamber plug and fill the bore with Shooters Choice copper solvent, for 7 full days, sat upright in a bench corner, then a scrub with a bronze brush. It does wonders for old guns. I have had slabs and chunks of copper come out of an old rifle.
Ed

Uh, yeah, it'll work...at that distance, with pretty much any grain bullet, if you're even half competent, that deer is down.

A long time fan of the .308. 150 grain Hornaday Interlocks or 125 grain triple shocks out to 300 yards.

Your distance is perfect for a deer in cold temps, they tend to be big bodied for heat conservation.

I would make sure any fouling is out of the barrel if the old gun is well used. When I buy a used gun, I usually give I a good soak, chamber plug and fill the bore with Shooters Choice copper solvent, for 7 full days, sat upright in a bench corner, then a scrub with a bronze brush. It does wonders for old guns. I have had slabs and chunks of copper come out of an old rifle.
Ed
Sweet's 7.62 works very well on copper fouling; as long as you swab the barrel with alcohol after use. And of course finish with and oily patch.

The .308 was developed over some years and is still one of the best hunting rounds also. Its my favourite you usually get a pass through, not too much meat damage. 150 grain soft point opens up nicely but retains enough of its weight to pass through. Readily available, easy to reload, nice short case. It inspires confidence once you zero it and get a good group. You can zero it at 100 yards or an inch high at 100 yards and shoot anything at any reasonable range. Try it at 200 yards also.

I just recently started using an old .308, I have 150gr and 180gr ammo for it. I hunt NY where the furthest shot I have is MAYBE 125 yards. What would you guys recommend and how do you like this caliber for deer?
My present deer "go to" rifle is a Tikka T3 in .308. For me it's an all rounder at distances out to 300 mtrs+ with no problem. I also take wild boar, red deer, mouflon, chamois, bagers and fox with it. I shoot both 150 and 180gr rounds depending on game and circumstances but I think at 125 yds you can't go wrong with either. Good hunting, or as they say over here at my present overseas duty assignment... "Waidmannsheil"!

Last edited:
For cleaning I ONLY use ,these days, Wipe Out. Sprays in the bore like shaving cream (short 1 second burst will fill most bores) and let it set for 20 minutes to 1/2 hour, and everything comes out. NO brushes or anything needed. Have used it for years, and nothing but good results. Gunsmith friend of mine ( I treated him to a can) said it was the best stuff he'd ever used.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.