Want to start long range hunting with a $2000 budget

WA Backcountry

I have been researching long range hunting rifles and I think that I want to go with the Remington Sendero in 300 win mag and a vortex 6-24x50 viper pst. I have a budget of $2,000.
I have a couple of questions.

What are your thoughts on this combination?

What do you know about that would be more bang for my buck.

I am just getting into long range shooting and would love to get some feedback from some people that have a lot more experience than me.

Thanks for your help,

Rick

I've shot several rem700 over the yrs and the senderos are excellent rifles. I've heard a few reports of a bad gun but they're few and far between, dad's in 25-06 is a tack driver. The vortex optics are supposed to be great for the price as well I've never shot or handled one but the reviews look good. I'd add to your list a good bipod, shooting mat, and some sand bags (a pair of socks filled with air soft pellets works great for me), and I hate factory triggers so a timney or jewell breaking around 12-14oz would be high on the priority list as well. You're combo will be an excellent choice to get into the game, talk with friends and do plenty of research on load and bullet choices. Try a large variety of ammo as well, factory will be fine but hand loads will allow you to squeeze that little something extra you'll end up wanting.
What ever you end up deciding let us know, and post a few pics we all love a new rifle.
Good luck and happy hunting

id say go for it, good rifle with a good scope, rounds are easy to find if you're buying, and lots of data if you're loading.

Really depends on what you mean by "hunting". Obviously, if you hunt from a stand this is a great set up. The weight and length of the rifle will not be a hindrance to you. However, if you hunt by stalking this set up will be too heavy and long.
As far as the caliber, 300 mag is excellent for anything on this continent. However, if you are looking for a rifle that you can walk with (stalk/back pack, etc) You may consider something along the lines of a rem action/or Howa action and sending it to Pac-nor, Mcgowen, Krieger and having it barreled in a 7mm/6.5mm non mag round in a 24" #2-3 contour 1:9 twist, adding a Timney trigger, and bed it in a kevlar stock and scoping it with whatever suits you. You'll still be under $2000 and have a rifle built for you for your specific needs.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.