Hunting with a .308

I just recently started using an old .308, I have 150gr and 180gr ammo for it. I hunt NY where the furthest shot I have is MAYBE 125 yards. What would you guys recommend and how do you like this caliber for deer?

I would shoot whatever is the most consistent in the gun. Let the gun choose.

I run several of them. And all with the federal gold with Sierra game King. Think the game king is a 165gr. Always does the job just fine.

That is high quality versatile ammo and would probably shoot very well in any gun. That's a great example of a great all around choice.

Been using 308 for decades. Even 150gr BT or Accubond works great on deer, but use 168 also. Have long series of DRT, literally in tracks, out to just over 350yd. Color blindness doesn't help in tracking. For larger, 300 Winmag, but a dozen 308s says I really like them. Very little recoil even with 6 1/2 pound rifles. Good to see the caliber in use.

Countless game have fallen to the 308, and for Eastern white tails the 150 is hard to beat. For reloads on deer and the shorter ranges, I like the 125AB or a 130 TTSX. Good speed and low recoil and DRT results.

If ranges may go beyond 2-300 and hunting the larger bodied Northerns, I love the 165 boattail

From the ammo you have, either will kill deer at 125 yards out to ~400 yards. The key is shot placement. So go out and shoot both rounds and figure out which one your rifle likes best (in terms of accuracy). That's the 'right' one.

Remember, always fear the man with just one rifle (as he knows it well)

308 Is probably one of the best all around deer cartridges ever. I've witnessed deer taken at 650 yards and as low as 30 yards with it and it's never disappointed. I've always been fond of the 168-180 grain loads for hunting. Try a few different quality hunting loads and whichever groups the best is probably your go to round. Only thing left to do after that is harvest and review the performance in the field. Good luck!

I just recently started using an old .308, I have 150gr and 180gr ammo for it. I hunt NY where the furthest shot I have is MAYBE 125 yards. What would you guys recommend and how do you like this caliber for deer?

Took a nice white-tail buck at 564yds. through both lungs with a .308 175gr HPBT a couple years ago..it ran 20yds. before falling over dead. With a well placed shot you can add a few hundred more yards to that. You'll be just fine with whatever grain for that round at your ranges up there.

From 175 gr. sniper rounds to 150s for deer it is one of the greatest rounds ever developed. I have killed moose/bison/elk with 180s, deer/black bear/caribou with 168/150s. Close in shots, you mentioned, I would go with the 150/168s with all the confidence in the world, what ever your rifle likes to get good shot placement. Hunt with confidence and have fun.

perfect for deer.......especially if you stay in your 125 yd range...all you will ever "need"......

Nothing wrong with a .308 for deer. I've even shot a few moose and bears with it. I'd use a 165/168 gr myself but use what shoots well out of your gun and never think twice about it... except for ethical shot placement of course. Happy hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.