Shed hunting with dogs

JK

My dad is interested..... Any of you all know any thing about it? I've done the Google with not much info , just questions & 1 DVD etc.
Thanks for any help

Don't know anything about training the dogs to do it but I know a guy that has his dog trained to hunt sheds. Dogs name is shed. He is very successful in getting deer and elk sheds.

i live on an elk farm and when they shed there antlers there is some blood on the base this is what my lab loves and as long as i give her a treat and dont let her chew on the antler i get her to bring in some great sheds although the bulls dont like her in there pen its a lot safer than me walking around in there. Now that she does this at home when we go for walks in the mountains she is excited to find a shed and bring it to me i got a 6x7 last weekend not to long but had good thickness within 20 min of each side i still have them in my car couse i need to show a friend today if i can get the pictures off my phone i will post them.
Rigby idaho.:)

My son is a shed hunting fool. He recently bought a pure-bred Lab pup from a kennel near here. All the dogs in that kennel are used for shed hunting. At six months he was starting to find sheds. For my son's sake, I sure hope he continues to find them. I kinda imagined that it could be done, but before we saw the ad in the paper, I never realized it actually was being done. A good idea.

Sounds good guys. I was thinking about getting my Dad a Lab or Blue Heeler.
But still wanting more info on training the dog to hunt sheds.

I read a great article on it in Texas Trophy Hunter. Maybe last year or the year before. It made it sound like they used normal tracking training. Look up Leerburg training articles, great free training advice. Tracking and scent work section. I have a rott pup I want to use for horn hunting. He just turned 11 weeks old. Ill start him soon so he'll be ready for spring.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.