Hunting with a .308

I think the .308 is just about ideal for deer hunting. There are some who think the .30/06 is a bit too much, and the .308 is just a notch lower on the power scale.

I think the .308 is just about ideal for deer hunting. There are some who think the .30/06 is a bit too much, and the .308 is just a notch lower on the power scale.

Been using 308 for decades. Even 150gr BT or Accubond works great on deer, but use 168 also. Have long series of DRT, literally in tracks, out to just over 350yd. Color blindness doesn't help in tracking. For larger, 300 Winmag, but a dozen 308s says I really like them. Very little recoil even with 6 1/2 pound rifles. Good to see the caliber in use.
The two rifles that have beat my shoulder blue, one was a Savage 110 in 7mm RM, and the other was a Ruger Compact .308. I really believe stock design is 70% of recoil issues.

I had a Savage 99c in .308 that was very pleasant to shoot. The Ruger 77 Ultralight ( when they first came out, early 80s) was kicker. A Mod 70 FWT PF in .308 was also pleasant to shoot. Different styles for different body shapes I guess.

Totally agree,,, I fraction less recoil from my 308 over the Ought-6,,, mind you I don't load the 6 hot these days...

178gr ELD-M @ 2740 ft-per seconds,,, more than enough Wack on the thick skins to 300 +++ yards,,, all good.

I liked shooting the 168gr 308 boolitz last winter,,, kind of short for the 30 caliber world,,, so I changed things up to the 6.5 necked down in a 30/06 case...

140/ 147's @ 2740 on up to 2900 ft-per seconds... A much longer space ship for a better flight path... Ha.

My two 30 cal's will go into storage for this season since there ready to rock if needed...

Why give up on a good thing

I have mixed feelings about the barns 168 TTSX. I've shot a doe square in the heart. Didn't know that until I gutted it. She ran for a good 100 yards. My dad and I were in disbelief. He actually asked are you sure you hit her good when we where walking the blood trail. Almost the same spot the following year I shot a nice 8 point and he just stood there for what seemed like forever and fell over. not one step. Ammo was bought as a case so we know it was the same lot. I use Winchester 150 power points now and they do just fine.

I've got a 16" AR10 I've built for under 500yd hunting.
Dropped a grey ghost of the desert just fine with 150gr Hornady BTSP's at 2625fps.
Haven't had the good fortune to draw anything else yet, but I built it for a thicker country elk/Black bear gun.

Attachments

• 9CCDBCBE-212C-4F79-AD45-F2B90CD4AC2D.jpeg
    9CCDBCBE-212C-4F79-AD45-F2B90CD4AC2D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 134
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.