Hunting with a .308

My BIL uses the Sierra 150 SBT in his .308 for East, Texas deer/hogs; my buddy out here uses the 150 Corlokt in his .308 for everything from antelope to bison...bothof them for the past 48yrs or so! I used the 150 Corlokt in one .308 for a 15yd shot on one deer. I used the 165NBT for an Axist buck at 230yds. Stick with the 150-165s if you can. If you go with 180, try to find some of the round nose bullets. The 180 spitzers can be slow to open in the 308 for deer. Can be slow to open, can work just fine. I myself don't trust them to open well in the .308. But I am anally OCD on this stuff! ha have fun dude! :)

308 is a great round for that kind of hunting. Anything from 150-180 grain bullets. Short ranges like that I really like the 180 round nose. Try a few different weights and see what your rifle likes. For just deer regular cup and core work fine. Throw elk or bear in and partitions or 180 rn.

With the short range you shoot any thing heavier than a 150gt C&C bullet just not necessary. I have a hunting buddy who shoots a 308 & he use the Barnes 150 gr TSX to take his elk each season. No problem, complete penetration. We kid each other back & forth because I use a 6.5 & the Barnes 120gr TSX to take my elk with complete penetration also. Another thought is that if you used a bullet like the Barnes 110gr TTSX 30 cal. it tends to completely penetrate even large deer. Much lighter recoil & would be deadly for the distance you shoot.

I like the 180gr something boolitz in our area since we go after Elk and Moose,,, then predator control in the off season.

I like my 30/06,,, but I like my 308 more,,, there both neck and neck in my hunting needs.

Lots of F Class shooting sports again this year.

Good old 308 fits in most every where.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.