Hunting with a .308

If it was my rifle and it had a 1 in 10 twist at the distances your shooting, 185gr Berger Classic Hunters at about 2500 fps it works every time for me

I just recently started using an old .308, I have 150gr and 180gr ammo for it. I hunt NY where the furthest shot I have is MAYBE 125 yards. What would you guys recommend and how do you like this caliber for deer?
I have been shooting the 308 since 1969. Personaly I think it is the best caliber all aroung. As a Sniper in the service we would shoot 900 meters using a 168 grain bullet. I still use that load. The lighter bullets (147,148,150 grain) are fine for 100 or so yards. For longer distance a heavyer bullet is more accurate. Your 180 grain ammo should be great for close or longer ranges.

I just recently started using an old .308, I have 150gr and 180gr ammo for it. I hunt NY where the furthest shot I have is MAYBE 125 yards. What would you guys recommend and how do you like this caliber for deer?

I have been using a .308 for 35 years on deer and hog and it never fails to take them down. I use 168 gr. Sierras. Longest shot was just over 200 yds.

the .308 is a very stable and accurate rifle ! id use the 150 gr for deer and 180 gr for larger but would work fine for deer !

I've been hunting with a 308 since I was 16 years old (I'll be 56 in August). Great round. Its generally an easy caliber to get shooting accurately with most popular bullet weights.
Current rifle is a Tikka T3x , Leupold VX3i 2.5-8. Barrel length 16" and fitted with an over barrel suppressor. Load that I run is a 130 TTSX barnes in front of a good stout load of H335. Drops big deer in their tracks!

I hunted deer here in Maine for years with a 3030. I did pretty well with it after putting Williams peep sight on it. Most shots were well under 100 yards. One day coming out of the woods with my Brother I saw a deer standing on a hill close to 300 yards away. I clocked the 3030 and put it to my shoulder and realized it was a long way off. Spoke to my Brother and asked him if he could hit that one. He shot it off hand. The deer ran about 50 yards into the alders and fell dead! That day I decided I could probably afford something a bit better than my old Winchester!
I'm now using a tikka t3 in 308.2x7 Bushnell elite scope and Hornady Superformance 150 grains. Really enjoy shooting this setup. The deer I shoot now don't go far. 175 yards is the furthest I have taken. Hard for me to call that long range hunting but most of are hunting is in the woods. 150 hornady shoots an impressive group out of my 308. Can see no reason to change a thing.

I hunted deer here in Maine for years with a 3030. I did pretty well with it after putting Williams peep sight on it. Most shots were well under 100 yards. One day coming out of the woods with my Brother I saw a deer standing on a hill close to 300 yards away. I clocked the 3030 and put it to my shoulder and realized it was a long way off. Spoke to my Brother and asked him if he could hit that one. He shot it off hand. The deer ran about 50 yards into the alders and fell dead! That day I decided I could probably afford something a bit better than my old Winchester!
I'm now using a tikka t3 in 308.2x7 Bushnell elite scope and Hornady Superformance 150 grains. Really enjoy shooting this setup. The deer I shoot now don't go far. 175 yards is the furthest I have taken. Hard for me to call that long range hunting but most of are hunting is in the woods. 150 hornady shoots an impressive group out of my 308. Can see no reason to change a thing.

Agree with the 308, especially on deer. I use the 168gr berger classic hunter bullet, works phenomenally. Accurate and plenty of power, the 308 is amazing.

150 grain Corelokt. Deadest mushroom in the woods. I would not use the 180 grain. Don't need the penetration and might not get good expansion on deer. 308W more than adequate.

Like the other guys said "try both and use the one that groups the best. I've had good results from Hornady whitetail ammo.

As you have read here both bullets will do the work you require and then some.

Just curious, what bullets and loads are you using? Factory ammo or reloading?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts