Hunting scope in the $400 range?

mrbofus

I hope to soon be upgrading a couple of scopes on my hunting rifles and would consider up to the $400 range. These will be on 30-06 and 270 rifles for hunting and target shooting. Say up to 500 yards.

In your opinions, what would you recommend and why? what is the best Value scope out there fin the $400 range, new or used.

Thanks.

Hard to beat the Vortex HS LR scopes. Cabelas has the 4-16x models on sale right now for about $400. Awesome glass and a great elevation turret. Drawbacks: Maybe a little heavy, capped windage turret. But for under 500 yards you could use Kentucky windage.

Any specific features you're looking for?

Look into the Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42. They have 1/4 inch finger adjustable turrets, side focus, and 90 MOA of adjustment. You can pick them up for $389 from Midway and they meet your budget. These look like excellent scopes and I am wanting to try them out. I do not like the Vortex HSLR because they have 1/2 MOA elevation adjustments and once you start getting out there, 1/2 MOA starts to become a lot of movement per click.

Cameralandny.com has some pretty good deals for demo scopes....id check out the vortex hs 4-16x44 its right at your price range but its got capped turrents if you want uncapped they have a pst 2.5-10x44 its a bit more but not much, those are both really good scopes but they also have alot more deals so id check them out before i bought one.

Hard to beat the Vortex HS LR scopes. Cabelas has the 4-16x models on sale right now for about $400. Awesome glass and a great elevation turret. Drawbacks: Maybe a little heavy, capped windage turret. But for under 500 yards you could use Kentucky windage.

Any specific features you're looking for?

Not any real specific features, just good clear quailty optics for the $$.

Vortex has been top of the list so far. I did get a chance to look at the new Diamond back HP over the weekend, nice scope but the guy at the counter suggested looking at the Viper for close to the same money.
I have used a couple BDC scopes and think I perfer plain cross hair and am thinking of custom turretts.
Maybe I just havent used the right DBC scopes or used them enough to be comfortable.
A buddy recommended looking at the NIKON Monarch and leupolds.
So far I am leaning to the Viper or new Diamondback unless I get convinced otherwise.

Thanks for the input

I would go for Nikon Monarch 2-8x32, 2.5-10 or 3-12 BDC. Very good glass, and excellent precision of turrets.

Vortex viper pst 4.5-16x50 is good option for this price range but I would not use it in cold condition. I saw several times when in summer it works great but in winter it sucks.

I would go for Nikon Monarch 2-8x32, 2.5-10 or 3-12 BDC. Very good glass, and excellent precision of turrets.

Vortex viper pst 4.5-16x50 is good option for this price range but I would not use it in cold condition. I saw several times when in summer it works great but in winter it sucks.

Please explain? Ive read lots of comments about the viper but never heard of it "sucking" in cold weather, what happens?

Not sure about the PST sucking in cold weather. I had mine out in 0 degree weather with wind and snow because I wanted to shoot, I had not cold related problems with it what soever, or weather related for that matter. The only reason I sold it was I was switching to a Sightron SIII 10-50 for target, and I'm getting a Viper HS-T 4-16 now, for hunting.

I'm a huge Vortex fan, and have found their customer service to be fantastic

My hunting partner just picked up a Viper so I will get a chance to look at it and I recently picked up a second hand Zeiss Conquest so I can compare.
I plan to check out the Cabela's / meopta next trip to cabelas.

Thanks for the input

If you are willing to shoot a Bdc plex the the Meopta 3-9 and 3.5-10 are hard to beat . their sub tensions work great with a 30-06 and 270. the optics are great in low light , crisp and clear easily on par with scopes twice as much. I have had a least a dozen scopes on 2 rifles in the last 3 years and though I had a meopta meopro 3-9 originally I thought I would do better, sold and started trying other scopes , I recently put another meppro 3-9 bdc and it is working great and do not plan on changing.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.