long range Scopes in the $400 range.

ajhardle

I've been eyeballing some used Leupold 6.5x20x40a.o. and I want to know if any one has any experience with these. Maybe a Vortex Viper in the same price range? I've been using two Milletts, both the trs and the lrs. The lrs tracks [email protected] iphy for 4 clicks. Not 1moa, but it is consistent and I can deal with that. It lacks clarity at high magnification and I cannot eliminate parallax at 900 yards and beyond. It claims 120moa adjustment range, but the reticle moves maybe 90 moa, and at both extreme extremes. So I get 60 moa from a scope that sits so high in factory provided mount that I can't get consistent eye positioning from a lack of cheek weld, to amplify the parallax issue. It almost does what I need it to. So close.

There are good scopes out there on the cheap but you have to get comfortable behind what ever your shooting in order to really enjoy them and use them to there capability. If you need a cheek riser, get one. They are simple, cheep and can be made to fit just about any stock. If you still want or need a new scope: I am not a leupold fan but lots of folks love them. The vortex vipers are a relatively safe bet if they have enough adjustment for you. The bushnell 4200elites 6-24x50 have served me very well for about $500 but they only have 44moa in the old version, suppose to be 75 in the new ones. Even still it depends on your cartridge, load and base. I can reach 1400yards with that little 44moa set up properly. If you have to fight to get position or to stay in good position you will struggle even with the best scopes money can buy.

Unless you want some type of ranging reticle, first one to go to is the Vortex special from Cameralandny. 20x with a duplex, good quality, best CS, priced a under $300. From there on up, Vortex is hard to beat. My beginning scopes are Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 Mil-dot. I like them for the price and the adjustments are holding well. I am looking to upgrade a couple and will probably go with a Vortex PST 4-16 with their dead-hold BDC. I use dots for windage and it gives you a couple to use without being obstructive. Optics are great and ergonomically easy.

I put a Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 on my sons gun and I am very impressed with it. I think it is right there with the good stuff that cost alot more. I think it has less glare than the Vortex imho. It can be found in that $400 range. I then put Bushnell Legend HD on my daughters gun in 4.5-14x44. It is a good scope I think. A bit cheaper than the Nikon and I can see it in glare. I cant tell you on tracking on either as I havent done any test but optically both are better than the Leupolds I had. A VX1 and a VX3.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts