Long Range Scopes

rcoody

I know this topic has been beaten to death but I have a dilemma and would like some input from a truly knowledgeable crowd

It seem nightforce is the choice these days. Now I am old and have always been a Leupold fan. I am a hunter and shooter not a tactical guy.

Anyway I have built 2 rifles for long range shooting. I am using a leupold vx-6 6-24X52 and am very happy with it.

That said my old eyes need all the help they can get. For these new guns I want to step up the power. I am looking at the vx-6 7-42x56 and the Nightforce competition 15-55X52

never had a nightforce and have always had good luck with leupold.

convince me or it will be a coin flip

.....It seem nightforce is the choice these days. Now I am old and have always been a Leupold fan. I am a hunter and shooter not a tactical guy

That said my old eyes need all the help they can get.
never had a nightforce and have always had good luck with leupold.........

Sound a lot like me last year. I can't say about the 2 models you mention, but the ATACR's are better than any of the Mark 4's I've got. First one enough better, I went with a second one this year.

If you're happy with Leupold there's nothing wrong with that either

I'm like you I like lots of magnification but it comes with a price especially with the Nightforce 15-55 in terms of field of view. Field of view on the Nightforce at 15x is only 6.9 feet at 100 yds compared to 16.3 ft. for the Leupold at 7X. You didn't mention what type of hunting you were doing but these are some pretty small windows especially if a follow up shot should be needed. I'm using a March 2.5-25x52 and although I might prefer more magnification the 25x is plenty adequate for some very long shots.

I'm like you I like lots of magnification but it comes with a price especially with the Nightforce 15-55 in terms of field of view. Field of view on the Nightforce at 15x is only 6.9 feet at 100 yds compared to 16.3 ft. for the Leupold at 7X. You didn't mention what type of hunting you were doing but these are some pretty small windows especially if a follow up shot should be needed. I'm using a March 2.5-25x52 and although I might prefer more magnification the 25x is plenty adequate for some very long shots.

actually neither of these guns will be hunting weapons. Maybe varmints but mostly range guns. One is a 6mm dasher bolt gun and the other is a 6mm ar turbo AR15.

I use a vx-6 2-12 on my deer rifle. Don't think my skills are up to shooting game over 3 or 4 hundred yrds yet.

With practice I hope to build up my confidence.

For varmints or a range gun either should be ok since field of view should not be a problem. Tracking would be the main requirement and I have little doubt about the Nightforce (I have a Nightforce 12-42 BR and it tracks flawlessly). I also have a Leupold VX6 3-18 which seems to track reasonably well but I have not done a tracking test to confirm having only shot it to 500 yards on a 204 Ruger. How do you like the 6mm AR Turbo? I shoot one in tactical matches and really like it. It is topped by a Bushnell 4.5-30 FFP.

For varmints or a range gun either should be ok since field of view should not be a problem. Tracking would be the main requirement and I have thought little doubt about the Nightforce (I have a Nightforce 12-42 BR and it tracks flawlessly). I also have a Leupold VX6 3-18 which seems to track reasonably well but I have not done a tracking test to confirm having only shot it to 500 yards on a 204 Ruger. How do you like the 6mm AR Turbo? I shoot one in tactical matches and really like it. It is topped by a Bushnell 4.5-30 FFP.

Actually I just ordered the 6mm from Robert. I think he said 5 or 6 weeks. 26" Kraiger barrel with the break. Want to get my optics here before they deliver the upper. That XRS 4.5-30x 50mm was on my short list for this gun. I just thought that I would want more than 30X. I have the 24 now. reality is even when you can't actually see the target as clear at 300 to 600 yards like you can at 100 yrds I am surprised how tight my groups are. How is 30X working for you.

got to remember I am 60 and my eyes aren't what they used to be.

I regularly use the Bushnell in matches to 500 yards and have used it once to about 735. In my opinion the 30x Bushnell does not have the resolution of the 25x March. I can see details much clearer with the March than with the Bushnell, overall I'm not overly impressed with the glass quality of the Bushnell but the scope does track well (and in fairness I should not expect the glass to be as good since the Bushnell is considerably less expensive than the March). I'm about 60+4 in the age department.

Nightforce's claim to fame is their durability and accuracy of adjustments. The VX-6 series are extremely good scopes themselves and you'll likely find that they have better optics than the nightforce. If you asked me to place bets on which one would track the best I'd probably say the nightforce, but the Leupold will likely track perfectly also. The leupold will probably give you a better sight picture.

You won't be making a bad decision by choosing the leupold. If you're a leupold fan then by all means pick the VX-6, it's a great scope.

I'm in the same boat, I'm wanting to go with the VX-6 4-24 but I'm having second thoughts on reticle's, I was thinking the B&C but I've heard there kind of thick when shooting steel over 1000yrds, mostly using the gun for hunting and I have fine duplex's on my other scopes and really like it! Any thoughts on the TMOA???

For a range gun and benchrest shooting,the NF Benchrest 8x32 the favorite at our club. Optical quality, turret tracking, and reticle offerings for this kind of shooting is second to none. Parallax is adjusted with the objective as opposed to a side turret, but the price is about 50% less than the NXS. I have mine mounted on a Whitley 6mmAR that I use for 200/300 yard egg shoots. It's a deadly combo.

I'm in the same boat, I'm wanting to go with the VX-6 4-24 but I'm having second thoughts on reticle's, I was thinking the B&C but I've heard there kind of thick when shooting steel over 1000yrds, mostly using the gun for hunting and I have fine duplex's on my other scopes and really like it! Any thoughts on the TMOA???

I have a vx-6 2-12 illuminated. It has very heavy crosshairs. Don't like it at all for target shooting but for hunting and in low light conditions it is fine.

I have a vx-6 4-24 not illuminated with the tmoa and like it much better. Fine crosshairs work good on targets. I really don't want my reticle cluttered up with all the ranging stuff. use the CDS dial and the moa dots for wind.

For a range gun and benchrest shooting,the NF Benchrest 8x32 the favorite at our club. Optical quality, turret tracking, and reticle offerings for this kind of shooting is second to none. Parallax is adjusted with the objective as opposed to a side turret, but the price is about 50% less than the NXS. I have mine mounted on a Whitley 6mmAR that I use for 200/300 yard egg shoots. It's a deadly combo.

I have one of Robert's 6mmAR turbo 40 improved uppers on order. If you are doing egg shoots it must be as accurate as he claims. Is it picky about loads and bullets? How long did load development take you?

I have one of Robert's 6mmAR turbo 40 improved uppers on order. If you are doing egg shoots it must be as accurate as he claims. Is it picky about loads and bullets? How long did load development take you?

It is more accurate then Robert claims. I tried one of Roberts loads with SMK, Berger, and Lapua bullets and they all shot under .5MOA. I played a bit with seating depth with the 107 SMK, and charge with R15/BR4 primers and was able to get .25MOA or better. I've got around 1000 rounds through it and it's still going strong. I'm still on the original 100pc batch of Lapua brass. it's the perfect egg shooter accuracy wise, but you can also catch the low wind better than the bolt rifles because of the autoloading. It's won numerous 200 and 300 yard matches competing with the bolts. The only thing is that I probably should have gone with the Turbo. It's not too quick at 2750FPS.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.