Long Range scopes

PanHandel

3 scopes I am considering. I have 2 Leupolds &amp; they are excelent. <u>Does anyone have any info on the ATN or Shepherd?</u>
*ATN 4-12X60LU. Has 6 interchangable Cams for different balistics. 1/8 MOA at 100Y. Price $400
*Shepherd P2 has Cool Retical for ranging from 100Y to 1000Y Price $600
*Leupold VXIII 4.5-12X50 LR with Boon &amp; Crocket Retical Price $770

Welcome PanHandel,

Stick with a Leupold or a Nightforce scope. I have no personal experience with a Shephard scope but when doing my research I read more negative feedback than positive about the Shephard Scopes. Search the board, I think there might be some information in the optics section.

Frank D

Will second what was said on ATN`s. Briefly saw one on a 300WM CZ. It lasted three shots before the reticle broke, that was from new. We compared it to an old Meopta resolution etc it was not in the same class by a long way.

I would prefer iron sights rather than an ATN.

David.

Thanks for the info.
Shooting a 7mm Mag. Hand load 165gr spitzer &amp; H380, slow burning. 2800fps. Very accurate in this gun. The balistics match the Shephard P2 perfictly out to 800y. I like the retical on the Shephard but wory about the glass. The Leupold has excelent image.

I have a Nightforce as well, super scope but$$$$$
the shepherd scope is good, glass is equal to the Super Sniper and maybe a little better. Sightron scopes are also good but if you are looking for a rangeing retical, give the Shepherd a try, they are often on ebay for 390-400 dollars, I have 2 left, one on my 300 WM is still holding strong and works great so far out to 600 yards it is dead on.

IMO: if you want a scope for 800.00 or less with super glass, go with xotic Optics.

300 or less, go with Super Sniper

bullet drop compisation in the retical, Burris FF2, about 325.00

bullet drop compisation and range finding on elk or deer, Shepherd out to 1000 yards

high end over all best optics IMO, US optics, then night force. big $$$$

I have a Leupold VX3 4.5-14X50mm w/ the B&amp;C reticle. I will have nothing else on my hunting rigs after this scope helped me take a 82 5/8" antelope @ 452 yards. I put the 450 yard hash mark on the goat and he dropped. Good glass too.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
VX-III 4.5-14 X 50 LR, Black Matte, Boone and Crocket Reticle $673.99

I bought 4 of the above Loopies from the site hyperlinked above. I just traded one of them in on a NightForce NXS 5.5X22X56 with NP-R2 reticle.
I also have a NF 8-32x56 Benchrest with 1/8 MOA adjustments. While my NF/NXS has 95 MOA, the BR has only 50 MOA and the loopies about 70.
I got both my NF scopes from UT Don (member here) - they are all great scopes. Don has the best deals I've seen on NF and he's a good guy.
My new motto on scopes is "Just a few but good ones" and keeping my old gun motto "more is better":)

I'm getting a bunch of pre canted rails made up so I can shoot as far as I want.

I have also been looking at this scope for the impending Rem 25-06. I was tossing around a mid range scope with turret knobs and came up with more worries then answers. My only experiance with this type scope is a 22BR gun.
So I zip up to Leupolds site and do some reading on this rectical and a thought hits me (scarry isnt it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)Check the balistics of Win. 25-06 Ballistic tips in 115gr. That sucker is real close with the hash marks. No knobs.......No muss........no fuss..... God I hope I am reading this stuff right!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
3 scopes I am considering. I have 2 Leupolds &amp; they are excelent. <u>Does anyone have any info on the ATN or Shepherd?</u>
*ATN 4-12X60LU. Has 6 interchangable Cams for different balistics. 1/8 MOA at 100Y. Price $400
*Shepherd P2 has Cool Retical for ranging from 100Y to 1000Y Price $600

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> </font> I haven't used a shepard scope, but have noticed in discussions that there are issues with the glass. For me there is no better glass than Leupold. I got a 4-14x50 in Varmint Reticle for $670 so $770 seems high for the boone and crockett. I got mine at huntersdiscount You might see if they have the one you are looking for. Its not one of the ones you listed, but I have had great luck with nikon as well.

I've got a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x50mm LR matte Wide Duplex Reticle - New in Box (NIB) - opened but never used. Actually I have three of them but want to keep two. I've got mine posted for $500 shipped. The B&amp;C reticle is a lot more money. The Wide Duplex does give you one vertical hold-over.
Loopie VX-III 4.5-14x50mm LR

If you are interested in Leupold VXIII 4.5-12X50 LR with Boon &amp; Crocket Reticle model 57140,I can get you one for 637.00 plus shipping and add tax if in Michigan.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.