hunting rifle accuracy

I expect any rifle to meet the manufacturers guarantee. You know what your buying. If you purchase a brand new tikka, begara, remington, savage, etc.... for less then a $1000 dollars and it shoots better then 1 moa, then you got a good one. If your talking custom or extremely high end factory guns then they better be half MOA or better.

Elk hunting rig: Lightweight gun/barrel, maybe pencil barrel - first two shots need to be eclipsing at 100. 3rd can be close.
Varmint rig: Heavy gun/barrel - 10 shots fired in 3-5 minutes 1 MOA. Sub MOA is a bonus

I've experienced 10-15rnd groups when load developing where the total group size is 1-1.5" but the printing of the group is erratic within. Meaning, some are same hole, some touching, but within the group. Then I've had groups of the same size, but it looks like I placed the shots equally in the same group size. I am beginning to think the latter is representing better performance.

First depends on what you mean by accuracy. Is it the best 3 shot group, or on average 5 shot group, or the diameter of the target you know you hit with first shot at 99% probability when you take the gun out of safe and go shoot it?

The Internet is full of guns that shoot 0.3 MOA all day but those are rare on the range and when hunting, precision is more important than accuracy. If you've got a rifle you know reliably hits a 1 MOA target with the first shot you're in good position and improving the rifle's mechanical accuracy is not bringing much benefit in hitting the target at long distances where the majority of the error is caused by the muzzle velocity variance, error in range and wind estimation and other external factors.

Not saying I'd be happy with a 1 MOA 3 shot grouping rifle neither, but instead of trying to achieve super tight groups try to minimize the distance of the worst shot from the aiming point. And remember, a 1 MOA rifle can reliably hit a 8 inch target at 800 yards. That is a lot harder than shooting tight groups. Humane kill at long ranges is more dependent on the location of the group than the group size as long as the rifle is adequately accurate which I'd say anything that reliably has a hit rate of >95% at a 1 MOA target is.
Spot on Joe!

So I asked this question because maybe my expectations where to high for a out of the box production rifle. Even though it's guaranteed to be sub moa
Some rifles have excellent out-of-the-box accuracy, but it is best to shoot them to your intended maximum range to find out the "actual" accuracy of the rifle/load combination. Most of us wish we have our 1KY backyard range to make life easier. It has been a while, but a member (I can't remember his name) has a 1K+ yard range in his backyard that he can shoot from his reloading room - life is good.

First depends on what you mean by accuracy. Is it the best 3 shot group, or on average 5 shot group, or the diameter of the target you know you hit with first shot at 99% probability when you take the gun out of safe and go shoot it?

The Internet is full of guns that shoot 0.3 MOA all day but those are rare on the range and when hunting, precision is more important than accuracy. If you've got a rifle you know reliably hits a 1 MOA target with the first shot you're in good position and improving the rifle's mechanical accuracy is not bringing much benefit in hitting the target at long distances where the majority of the error is caused by the muzzle velocity variance, error in range and wind estimation and other external factors.

Not saying I'd be happy with a 1 MOA 3 shot grouping rifle neither, but instead of trying to achieve super tight groups try to minimize the distance of the worst shot from the aiming point. And remember, a 1 MOA rifle can reliably hit a 8 inch target at 800 yards. That is a lot harder than shooting tight groups. Humane kill at long ranges is more dependent on the location of the group than the group size as long as the rifle is adequately accurate which I'd say anything that reliably has a hit rate of >95% at a 1 MOA target is.
I agree the internet is full of 0.3 MOA guns…but rarely do they appear at shooting ranges. While there are exceptions, consistent 5 shot 0.3 MOA at any distance much less 500+ yards is phenomenal. Factory gun with factory ammo…mythical.

Agree with humane kill comments. Throw in hunting light, weather, heart rate, bugs, uneven to cattywhompus sitting/prone terrain and one's bench rest gun accuracy becomes a bit second fiddle.

Gonna go shoot my bow that can hit nickels at 60 yards…on the internet 🙂

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^. Because what a rifle can do at 100yds can give a very false impression of what it can do at 600-700-800yds. I've seen a number of rifles print nice tight groups at 100yds and group miserably at extended ranges.
I have found that to be absolutely true. I had a 6.5x284 Norma that was a miserable shooter at 100 yards, but shot very well at distance. I killed a whitetail buck at 750 yards with that rifle. I almost burned out the barrel before I realized that.

I'm no professional first off. I will always want that first cold bore ½ inch to ¾ MOA consistent. Second, I agree that knowing what you and your rifle are capable of from 400 yards to 800 is more conducive to a hunt than group size at 100, (a good starting point in getting to know your rifle and your capabilities). We all know groups at 100, add in all the variables can change from 400 to 800 yards. Find that comfy zone, then use you hunting skills to put you where you need to be confident in your abilities.