Hunting optic under 1k

68w

Looking for a hunting optic under 1k, options that look appealing in no specific order: vortex razor HD lh, lecia er 5, Steiner gs3. Looking for low light/moonlight capable so larger objective probably better. Anyone own any of these or something else I am overlooking. Also looking for 3-15 power or similar. Thanks in advance

How do the Nikon/Leo/Burris compare optical quality wise with the lecia/vortex/Steiner.... From what I've read the glass isn't as good, but real life experiences my be more telling than reviews

How do the Nikon/Leo/Burris compare optical quality wise with the lecia/vortex/Steiner.... From what I've read the glass isn't as good, but real life experiences my be more telling than reviews

Opinions vary. Pick the one you like.

Personally I like.luepold. I think they are as good as any and better than many.

They are lighter weight, you can get them without the exposed.target turrets and a CDS dial

I have a Leupold vx 6 that I love. The glass is up there with the vortex HD Gen II in my opinion. It is lightweight and very crisp, clear. One thing I haven't done yet , which is important, is run a box test on it. If it fails that it will change my opinion, but for a hunting scope assuming it passes a box test, I like it better than my Vortex's, and my Nightforces, because it is comparatively light and small compared to those behemoths.

Also saw where you could get one of the 3-18x44 for $999. The Tmoa reticle which I prefer however is about $125 more.

Last edited:
I have a Leupold vx 6 that I love. The glass is up there with the vortex HD Gen II in my opinion. It is lightweight and very crisp, clear. One thing I haven't done yet , which is important, is run a box test on it. If it fails that it will change my opinion, but for a hunting scope assuming it passes a box test, I like it better than my Vortex's, and my Nightforces, because it is comparatively light and small compared to those behemoths.

Also saw where you could get one of the 3-18x44 for $999. The Tmoa reticle which I prefer however is about $125 more.

Yep I have 3 vx-6. About to buy a vx-3i

Vortex I looked at weighed over 20 Oz the luepold is 13 Oz

Good info, I have seen a lot of comparisons to the vx6 in reviews. It seems that it is the scope to beat in the 1k range. The v3i with illum and all the features is just under 1k. I have to guess a vx6 well equipped would be significantly higher

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts