Howa .338 edge?

nwolf

Can I chamber my howa 1500 LA for .338 edge? If so, how do I get brass?

My box mag measures 3.53 and the COAL for the RUM is 3.6. I dont know the specs for the edge, thats why the dumb question.

The Howa can easily be converted to use the Rem 700 magazine boxes for the RUM so you can get 3.670" OAL. That is not overly long for the Edge with match bullets but it can be made to work just fine with a short throat. IF you do not want to seat the bullets deep, do as mentioned, go with a single shot version.

Remember the Howa is the same basic receiver as the Wby Vanguard which is chambered in the 300 Wby so it can easily be converted to full length mag boxes.

I checked in to the .338 sin. If testing goes well on the heavy bullets Im goin with that. So far it looks great. Should be a pretty good squirel rifle.

I'm really kinda jacked about the 338 Sin also, my dad has a Vanguard sitting around that really needs to have something happen to it other than the current 300WBY which shoots OK but at the same time sucks.

I've been researching the heck out of the Vanguard/Howa action and found there are some that would rate the actions as better to build of than the Remington.
Roedale Precision builds on the Howa up to and including the 338 Lapua. The 338 Sin would be just a plug and play.

Last edited:
Montanarifleman,

Exactly why would the Edge be pushing the Howa to hard. The Howa comes factory made in the 375 RUger which is nothing but a shortened 375 RUM. Added case capacity has nothing to do with bolt thrust. Case head diameter is the only consideration so if the Howa is adequate for the 375 Ruger it is fully adequate for any chambering on that same case head diameter.

Then for you to recommend a MkV in a Lapua over a Howa, obviously this is not wanted to be a high dollar project, just good results. Why in the heck jump to the MkV which is not the best choice anyway. Hell, a Rem 700 would be vastly superior in cost and precision and then chamber it in the Edge for exactly the same performance as the Lapua or my Ultra Maxx for slightly more.....

Your recommendations confuse me a bit.

ICANHITHIMMAN,

Its the same thing as with the Rem 700 installing a Wyatts extended mag box. The factory Howa, standard magnum length receiver will easily allow the standard Rem 700 RUM mag box to be installed in the same manner. Mill out the nose at the rear of the max box window, set the bolt stop back enough to allow the bolt to clear the back of the mag box and then some slight floorplate clearance cuts are needed. Simple and your right at 3.670" OAL in your ammo.

Bigngreen,

I do not understand the hype of the 338 SIN. The 330 Dakota is the exact same thing performance wise, the 338-375 Ruger is nearly identical in every way except some meaningless minute dimensional changes I assume they made simply so they could rename it.

Convert the Howa to a Rem 700 RUM mag box and use the 338 RUM, it will outperform all of these "new" wildcats and do so with factory brass and standard cost dies.

As far as chambering the Howa in a Lapua class chambering, not only is that not wise but its not needed. The Lapua, because of its much larger case head diameter imposes much more bolt thrust onto the receiver. Its just not needed when you have the RUM case that has identical capacity and performance when loaded to correct chamber pressures and is completely safe in the Howa receiver.

On top of that, the RUM brass will let you know well before your getting into dangerous chamber pressure ranges whereas the lapua will just smile at you even at the 70,000 psi range which is WAY to much for even the Rem 700 or supposed "unbrakeable" Wby MkV.

ICANHITHIMMAN,

Its the same thing as with the Rem 700 installing a Wyatts extended mag box. The factory Howa, standard magnum length receiver will easily allow the standard Rem 700 RUM mag box to be installed in the same manner. Mill out the nose at the rear of the max box window, set the bolt stop back enough to allow the bolt to clear the back of the mag box and then some slight floorplate clearance cuts are needed. Simple and your right at 3.670" OAL in your ammo.

Kirby thanks for the responce. Got any rem 700 RUM mag boxes in the shop you want to part with?

I was just looking at my mag box last night comenting to myself I have room in the rear and take a little off the feed ramp and im good. Just could not figure how the heck to extend the mag box.

Very good points you bring up Kirby! Could not agree with you more on the 330 Dakota. I think this is another case of looking to sell some new marketed rifles (hyped) to the people.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.