How would you rate this chamber job?

As a reply to 80 rounds being too much or not. There are several things involved. As an example: 200 rounds ago I cut my wifes new chamber so that a Sierra MK 190 made contact with the lands on a push feed only 300 WM at a c.o.a.l of 3.5 inches and as of this weekend it makes contact at almost 3.7 inches (.2 inches of errosion in 200 rounds). The second consideration would be the ream diameters and lengths, the origional chamber ream and the second ream, as well as the barrels actual land diameter which can vary as much as .0015 between barrels. It is a misconception that barrels and reams are made to an exact size, they are made to within specifications and then only to the manufacturers experience and criteria. In my opinion it is 100% necessary to cut the chamber end down far enough to get to as clean and virgin of metal as reguired to get past the majority of land ( throat errosion) as practical and more than necessary to get past the work hardened and impregnated metal. Your photos of your brass looked visually horrible but your chamber isn't so bad that it can't be polished out to a better degree of acceptability or once again rechambered if there is enough barrel left. It hurts but barrels are the disposable part of the rifle and some of us replace barrels as often as our pocket book will allow.

As a reply to 80 rounds being too much or not. There are several things involved. As an example: 200 rounds ago I cut my wifes new chamber so that a Sierra MK 190 made contact with the lands on a push feed only 300 WM at a c.o.a.l of 3.5 inches and as of this weekend it makes contact at almost 3.7 inches (.2 inches of errosion in 200 rounds). The second consideration would be the ream diameters and lengths, the origional chamber ream and the second ream, as well as the barrels actual land diameter which can vary as much as .0015 between barrels. It is a misconception that barrels and reams are made to an exact size, they are made to within specifications and then only to the manufacturers experience and criteria. In my opinion it is 100% necessary to cut the chamber end down far enough to get to as clean and virgin of metal as reguired to get past the majority of land ( throat errosion) as practical and more than necessary to get past the work hardened and impregnated metal. Your photos of your brass looked visually horrible but your chamber isn't so bad that it can't be polished out to a better degree of acceptability or once again rechambered if there is enough barrel left. It hurts but barrels are the disposable part of the rifle and some of us replace barrels as often as our pocket book will allow.

Ken -- Do not think polishing will clean up that mess the OP has..

I was joking about brotherhood :D, but seriously what are advantages of loosing that nut?

I see what I'm missing now :cool:. By the way, Montour County Rifles in Danville PA is like 100 miles south from where I stay, maybe I should let them deal with this. Any thoughts on their work? Montour County Rifles

Kevin at Montour County Rifles does great work. He built two of my rifles...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-300rum-mcr-70809/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/

Also, search the Gun Photo section for 'kevin cram' and you will find many more examples of his work.

Thanks trebark they look very good!

You know there are kits now to sign up Remington in to brotherhood :D

A hello to you BossHoss. The photos look pretty horrible. A guy would actually have to have rifle and Brass in hand to make that determination. largely magnified photography has a way of makeing imperfections look a heck of a lot worse than they actually are. Or it might look as bad in person. Personally if it has been rechambered once I would not at all like doing a second time rechamber, if polishing it out does not work I would push for a new barrel. Lots of Smiths have different and good ideas. To me if there is not enough barrel left to cut off all the threads and basically start fresh then somone else will happily do it. Seeing things like this makes me understanding of the problems others encounter and is why we all have our own way of machining. Honeing is practically free and worth a try.

I see what I'm missing now :cool:. By the way, Montour County Rifles in Danville PA is like 100 miles south from where I stay, maybe I should let them deal with this. Any thoughts on their work? Montour County Rifles

If'n youda done taken it to Kevin first, youda saved all the time spent on this thread.:)

You can take what Kevin says and does to the bank.....

Someone should of stopped me, I couldn't resist if its free, but in this world only free cheese left in mouse traps :D, maybe he set it up so I'll have to buy barrel from him and loose that nut, by ruing my factory barrel, now I can't send it back...

With the further info you've provided, a .050" set back (that's 1 complete turn @ 20t.p.i.) and a good sharp reamer should have "fixed" your original problem (and a good polishing after the headspace was established which is, generally, part of any 'chambering' job).

Shortgrass, so one complete turn shouldn't put my barrel looking like this?

savbarr.jpg

at first I thought it wasn't a chamber so I got soot from candle on the bolt-face and did some cycling, it was hard to cycle bolt without brass in it. Here what thing looked like with carbon print on it:

6mmchamber1.jpg

6mmchamber2.jpg

also I had problem with cratering and some primers where punctured through:

6mmnorma.jpg

and my brass looked, I don't know what caused it to look like this:

6mmnorma5.jpg

6mmnorma6.jpg

so I start looking down the chamber and I found this:

6mmchamber6.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.