How Much $s did you pay or would you pay for a Custom Chambering in your rifle???

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
How much would you pay to have a barrel chambered, Threaded, Finished???

1st​ this does not include the cost of the Barrel whether you bought it or your GS had the Barrel ?

2nd​ is the chamber for the cartridge SAAMI specks or Custom?

3rd is it a "Custom Design Cartridge" The Reamer has to be built-not in stock and would you want a specific Reamer Maker JGS/MASON/ PT&G ?

4th are you buying the Custom Reamer of having the GS buy it and keep it rent it?

5th​ are you having the muzzle threaded?

6th​ what finish are you having on the barrel/action – Cearkote/Beadblast

If you want to know why we are asking this is we are just trying to get an idea on what the present day costs for building custom rifles are. I have been working on firearms for over fifty years and have seen many changes in costs for materials and labor.

It has been a challenge the past few years getting out of GS , selling everything and then getting back in. Jill and I decided to start up a Custom Chambering & Cerakoting business about five years ago. Unfortunately I ended up with a spinal cord injury and even worse a sever injury after the surgery.

Well being a disabled USMC Vet and much perseverance it is paying off and I had some improvements with a SCS Spinal Cord Stimulator. Started Coyote Shadow Tracker, LLC in 2021.

This past year we have purchased a good selection of Start of the Art GunSmithing equipment and Cerakoting equipment.

We are hoping and praying to get everything operational by April 2022. With all new equipment, machines, tooling and renovating a 1,800sqft space is costing about $40k.

We basically did this to build our own "F" Class and ELR Rifles pulse we know a lot of shooters in the PRS field and would chamber for them.

We are not going to be a "Total GS Shop" been their done that and it's not worth the trouble. We are just going to be Custom Chambering, some stock/chassis work (sure we could build a rifle from start to finish) and limited Cerakoting (no Skulls & cross bones & snakes).

We are not putting our website until we are finished with the renovation.

If you want to PM us with prices you recently paid it would be appreciated and if you want to know what equipment and capabilities we have. I would be glad to talk with you.
Also posting you prices paid will give other LRH members an idea on what they can expect when making a new build.

We are not looking to get rich (may never break even), but are looking to make Class AAA+++ rifles for competition & hunting.

Thanks MUCH!!!!
Len & Jill

I would like to start with hoping the best for you in your recovery and new business.

Not having a custom rifle built before I was wondering the same thing. I plan to have the barrel cut and installed by a GS and finish a wood stock myself. I am guessing with a barrel the cost would be $800-1000.00 range. I would be looking for a hunting rifle and not a competition build, if that makes a difference.

I would like to start with hoping the best for you in your recovery and new business.

Not having a custom rifle built before I was wondering the same thing. I plan to have the barrel cut and installed by a GS and finish a wood stock myself. I am guessing with a barrel the cost would be $800-1000.00 range. I would be looking for a hunting rifle and not a competition build, if that makes a difference.
Lets talk
Barrel/Action/Work????
PM Me

I like to get all the components so all I have to pay is gunsmith labor cost. On my full custom build I have everything including my own reamer. It cost me $600 to chamber and thread barrel, thread the muzzle, glass bed the action, and bed blast the barrel to match the action.

My next build is going to be the same route. I have the action and trigger already. All other components are on order. This prevents any stove piping at gunsmith.

I pay 350.00 for chamber, thread, crown. This is for a LA or Short Mag. 300.00 for SA. I pay 150-300 for bedding... skim bed to full pillar bed.

Within the last month I just had some work done so I have fresh cost for prices in my area.

I provided all parts, I provided my own reamer, it was definitely a non-standard/non-SAAMI chambering, so threading of the breach and muzzle as well as chambering the barrel, fitting to the receiver, pillar and glass bedding; I paid $550. No Sarah coat or other finish as it was a Carbon Barrel.

Chamber - 150-350
Cerakote barrel - 100
Cerakote action - 100
Muzzle thread - 50-100

The one that surprises me is chambering. It seems to vary from $150-$400, but what is the difference? I'm sure some setups take longer, but are they more precise?

Can anybody tell me why some charge more for magnums or non-SAAMI reamers? Is it different? I get that throating should cost more as well as renting or buying the reamer.

Also, IMO, Savage nut type chambering should maybe cost a few bucks less since reamer depth is probably slightly less critical.

Last edited:
As with most things there is a huge variation in price, not always in alignment with the smiths skill level. I was a finish carpenter but there is a huge difference in skill levels with those who claim this appellation. Same goes for surgeons, lawyers etc. etc. That said the last custom build I had done i bought the blank and I had the reamer and paid around $300 for chamber threading and crown. It shoots well.
With the advent of YouTube most people can manage to bed an action and float a barrel and that gives a huge sense of self accomplishment.

As with most things there is a huge variation in price, not always in alignment with the smiths skill level. I was a finish carpenter but there is a huge difference in skill levels with those who claim this appellation. Same goes for surgeons, lawyers etc. etc. That said the last custom build I had done i bought the blank and I had the reamer and paid around $300 for chamber threading and crown. It shoots well.
With the advent of YouTube most people can manage to bed an action and float a barrel and that gives a huge sense of self accomplishment.
We always tell/ASK a shooter what they want. If they have the ability to do some of the work (mechanically inclined) and they have some or none of the equipment - usually help them out. Not chambering/threading due to equipment, but will help out with bedding, scope mounting. assembly. If they want to do it, We hope that we can teach them something to improve with their firearms and shooting skills.
I can't see someone charging $50+ to just mount a scope. Show the shooter how to do it CORRECTLY and then they can do their other rifles. I bet that when they have a more difficult project, they will (hopefully) come to us and gladly pay a FAIR price for service.
We spent a small fortune on some of the "BEST NEWEST MACHINES EQUIPMENT" in the Gunsmith industry and probably won't get an ROI in the next ten years, but will have helped a lot of shooters out, some that may have given up shooting and now very interested in shooting. Just because someone took the TIME to help them out and explain shooting /reloading processes.
In our time in life we are looking to GIVE to the shooting community to continue the sport. SURE we want to make some money, just spent over $40k and unless we chamber/cerakote a lot of barrels at very high prices won't see a ROI. But in ten /fifteen years can probably sell the equipment=machines/tooling at more than today's prices.
Hopefully within the next few months some of you will send us an action/barrel/reamer (if we don' t have in stock) and we can chamber you a match grade firearm for an upcoming hunt or competition at the Range. You may even want to pay us for doing it!
God Bless

Len & Jill
Coyote Shadow Tracker, LLC
Custom Chambering & Cerakoting

I like to get all the components so all I have to pay is gunsmith labor cost. On my full custom build I have everything including my own reamer. It cost me $600 to chamber and thread barrel, thread the muzzle, glass bed the action, and bed blast the barrel to match the action.

My next build is going to be the same route. I have the action and trigger already. All other components are on order. This prevents any stove piping at gunsmith.
I am paying $525 to have my barrel blank threaded as a pre-fit, chambered in 300 win with their reamer, threaded at the muzzle and cerakoted.

I do the exact same thing when it comes to buying components, except now I have taken it one step further and moved to trying a prefit barrel for my new terminus Kratos lite that should be coming soon. I find it enjoyable and rewarding to assemble my own rifle.

How much would you pay to have a barrel chambered, Threaded, Finished???

1st​ this does not include the cost of the Barrel whether you bought it or your GS had the Barrel ?

2nd​ is the chamber for the cartridge SAAMI specks or Custom?

3rd is it a "Custom Design Cartridge" The Reamer has to be built-not in stock and would you want a specific Reamer Maker JGS/MASON/ PT&G ?

4th are you buying the Custom Reamer of having the GS buy it and keep it rent it?

5th​ are you having the muzzle threaded?

6th​ what finish are you having on the barrel/action – Cearkote/Beadblast

If you want to know why we are asking this is we are just trying to get an idea on what the present day costs for building custom rifles are. I have been working on firearms for over fifty years and have seen many changes in costs for materials and labor.

It has been a challenge the past few years getting out of GS , selling everything and then getting back in. Jill and I decided to start up a Custom Chambering & Cerakoting business about five years ago. Unfortunately I ended up with a spinal cord injury and even worse a sever injury after the surgery.

Well being a disabled USMC Vet and much perseverance it is paying off and I had some improvements with a SCS Spinal Cord Stimulator. Started Coyote Shadow Tracker, LLC in 2021.

This past year we have purchased a good selection of Start of the Art GunSmithing equipment and Cerakoting equipment.

We are hoping and praying to get everything operational by April 2022. With all new equipment, machines, tooling and renovating a 1,800sqft space is costing about $40k.

We basically did this to build our own "F" Class and ELR Rifles pulse we know a lot of shooters in the PRS field and would chamber for them.

We are not going to be a "Total GS Shop" been their done that and it's not worth the trouble. We are just going to be Custom Chambering, some stock/chassis work (sure we could build a rifle from start to finish) and limited Cerakoting (no Skulls & cross bones & snakes).

We are not putting our website until we are finished with the renovation.

If you want to PM us with prices you recently paid it would be appreciated and if you want to know what equipment and capabilities we have. I would be glad to talk with you.
Also posting you prices paid will give other LRH members an idea on what they can expect when making a new build.

We are not looking to get rich (may never break even), but are looking to make Class AAA+++ rifles for competition & hunting.

Thanks MUCH!!!!
Len & Jill
Morning Len and Jill i usually supply the reamer a dummy round and the barrel. over the years it is creeping up first time I had a chambered and threaded for brake it was $200 couple years later it's been up to 250 just dropped one off yesterday it is now 300 to chamber and thread a rifle for a muzzle brake